New Here from N.E. California

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Welcome from AZ! I too am rebuilding a K series truck. Mine is a 1978 Chevy Scottsdale 4x4..... K10 half ton. If got it in several pieces and am cleaning about everything I can...bith wire wheel and pressure sprayer. I have a 383 stoker, 4L60e, and an np205 ready to go in. There is soooo much to do you almost have to have project management skills!! Anyhow...reach out if you ever need a pic or help. All the guys here are great and are always happy to help you. Best of luck!

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Welcome from AZ! I too am rebuilding a K series truck. Mine is a 1978 Chevy Scottsdale 4x4..... K10 half ton. If got it in several pieces and am cleaning about everything I can...bith wire wheel and pressure sprayer. I have a 383 stoker, 4L60e, and an np205 ready to go in. There is soooo much to do you almost have to have project management skills!! Anyhow...reach out if you ever need a pic or help. All the guys here are great and are always happy to help you. Best of luck!
Thanks... I'm already forgetting where stuff goes, mines in a bazilion pieces. Your build sounds rad!

Here's my build thread if you're interested
https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/80-k-10-squircle-build.34732/

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5496.jpg
    IMG_5496.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5305.jpg
    IMG_5305.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_5083.jpg
    IMG_5083.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4547.JPG
    IMG_4547.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 40

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Ya, rad and in a million parts strung throughout my house. My wife made me take the heater box off the table this weekend. I'm rebuilding that as we speak.....its a tough little cookie to crack but I did it.
Oh man... My wife would not be having that at all, thank goodness my Dad has a shop he lets me use.

Kurnacopia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Oh man... My wife would not be having that at all, thank goodness my Dad has a shop he lets me use.
Uhhhh ya. Its now out back on my paint table away from her nice Halloween decorated table. But, I am making progress on the radiator support restore....so much fun!

Attachments

• IMG_5518.jpg
    IMG_5518.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5521.jpg
    IMG_5521.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5522.jpg
    IMG_5522.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5524.jpg
    IMG_5524.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 43

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Uhhhh ya. Its now out back on my paint table away from her nice Halloween decorated table. But, I am making progress on the radiator support restore....so much fun!
Dang... Core support looks great.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Welcome from NorCal
California smog truck?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Welcome from NorCal
California smog truck?
LOL... Yeah... It sure is (wink wink)

My county only requires smog inspection upon transfer of ownership & I've owned it since I was 16. I was actually planning on building it smog legal this time but the engine swap requirements in CA are so strict that it's not worth it. If they would ease up just a little I could have made this thing far les smoggy than it was in stock configuration.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
LOL... Yeah... It sure is (wink wink)

My county only requires smog inspection upon transfer of ownership & I've owned it since I was 16. I was actually planning on building it smog legal this time but the engine swap requirements in CA are so strict that it's not worth it. If they would ease up just a little I could have made this thing far les smoggy than it was in stock configuration.
The part that doesn’t make sense, and I know I shouldn’t attempt to apply logic, is that they don’t allow swaps that end up being cleaner than the original configuration on the sniff-o-meter. The only exception is taking everything from a newer vehicle and transferring it into your older vehicle.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
As far as I know the only upgrade available to a CA smog truck is the LS conversion kit available from GM.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I believe if you have an entire donor, say a 2002 k1500, and transfer every single piece you can get that to pass the referee. I may be wrong…

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
As far as I know the only upgrade available to a CA smog truck is the LS conversion kit available from GM.
The E-Rod LS or LT setups are CARB approved aftermarket parts for any pre 1996 vehicle, there are a few additional requirements that need to be done when swapping too though.

You can swap in any drive train from a newer vehicle so long as it meets the rules below (and more)

I was about half way through swapping in the 1998 350 vortec when I figured out getting the correct factory computer wasn't practical & the cats were going to cost about $1200... I just gave up at that point but it could have been finished legally.

I believe if you have an entire donor, say a 2002 k1500, and transfer every single piece you can get that to pass the referee. I may be wrong…

Yes and no...
The donor vehicle type must be classified the same as the receiving vehicle, Ex 1/2 ton pickup to K10, SUV to K5, ETC.

(Note: I cant LS swap my 2018 jeep even under fed standards because LS's were not available in SUV's in 2018, it would have to be an LT type engine)

The donor vehicle must have been a CA smog designated vehicle

The receiving vehicle must be in CA approved SMOG configuration when complete even if it was originally a federal smog vehicle.

The factory ECM must be unmolested in regard to CEL/MIL and smog functions but VATS and other stuff can be disabled. (My ECM thinks it is in a Chevy Express van with a 5.7L & 4L60E trans, which goes against the top rule)

The factory TCM must be unmolested and work as designed, if the donor had an electronic assisted trans it needs to be part of the swap

CEL/MIL needs to function and be visible from the drivers seat

The receiving vehicle needs to have all of the same equipment (or CARB approved aftermarket parts designed for the donor vehicle) as the donor except gas tanks, but the existing tank must accept all the modern sensors or equipment and pass the same pressure, purge & evap tests.

Cat's must be CARB approved and be in the same configuration and be the same distance from the manifold within a few inches

O2 sensors must be in the same configuration and the same distance from the manifold within a few inches

There's pages worth of CA Bureau of Automotive Repair and CARB engine swap guidelines I am forgetting but that is the meat & potato's of it.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
In California pre 2000 trucks need to be smog tested on a dyno BAR97. Most shops are not willing to maintain older equipment for 20 something year old vehicles. I have already had to go out of town to get a smog. Hoping at some point it will be a hardship and pre 2000 trucks will be exempt here in California

Last edited:

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
In California pre 2000 trucks need to be smog tested on a dyno BAR97. Most shops are not willing to maintain older equipment for 20 something year old vehicles. I have already had to go out of town to get a smog. Hoping at some point it will be a hardship and pre 2000 trucks will be exempt here in California
Nope... In your county pre 2000 trucks need to done on a dyno. Smog rules are by region, based on AQI and the amount of smog in that area.

Also there is no way they will bump the smog exemption up 25 years from 1975 to 2000 just because its inconvenient. At best they would do a cash for clunkers on trades for electric cars to accommodate those with hardships. The people making the rules do not like your old shitbox and would prefer it gets recycled into something less harmful to the environment.

Buy a house in alpine, amador, calaveras, del norte, humboldt, imperial, inyo, lake, lassen, mariposa, mendocino, modoc, mono, plumas, sierra, siskiyou, trinity, or tuolumne county and register your truck there. Not 100% sure on this list but I can confirm several of them only require smog inspection on transfer of ownership.

Last edited:

Terry Wilkerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
Nice looking truck!
Welcome from KC