New clutch won't depress!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C0dy

Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
1979ish
Truck Model
Custom deluxe
Engine Size
Put in a new clutch when I rebuilt my tranny got it all back together and now the pedal won't depress, seems like everything in the pedal assembly is fine (as it was before) but the fork holding the throwout bearing seems like it doesn't want to push the pressure plate?? It just won't push it in... Now I feel stupid I was sure I put everything together right ..maybe the wrong clutch?? (asked for stock replacement from advanced auto but never heard of the brand) any thing I should check before I rip this thing back out :banghead:

Most of the truck is a 79 chevy k20/ sm465 with mechanical clutch linkage:banghead:

roadtriper

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Cody, when you re-assembled everything did you have to make any drastic changes in the clutch linkage like something had changed or parts weren't the same?

the throwout bearing needs to slide smoothly on the trans input collar, drop the linkage between the bellcrank and the Throwout arm. see if you can move the throwout back and forth on the input collar? maybe pull the boot back and have a peek in there to see if the lever is over the pivot correctly

the other thing that comes to mind... is the clutch disc installed the correct way? the bulky side of the disk where the springs protrude needs to be towards the relief in the Pressure Plate. if the Throwout bearing assembly isn't cocked on the input collar or something like that, it sounds like you are coming back apart :-( Bob

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
That's a good indication that the clutch disc is in backwards.

roadtriper

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SWB
Engine Size
Cody, what did you find???