Lowering truck, already level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm in the process of deciding how I want to go about lowering my truck a bit. Im leaning toward drop spindles in the front and shackles in the rear but I'm open to suggestions and interested in what I need to avoid. What would you guys suggest to get down about 2.5" or so in the front?

I am a little confused since the rear of my truck sits perfectly level with the front already. I have about 4.5" all around between the fenders and the tires. Best I can tell it hasnt been lowered and they all look like stock components. I didnt know if maybe the leaf springs were sagging or what.

Im open to any and all suggestions. I have lowered trucks in the past and generally gone with spindles when available and the shackles seem the easiest route in the rear since it's already level back there.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
These trucks have a 2in rake from the factory so thats why most kits are 2/4, 3/5, and 4/6in drops so the truck will sit level after install. If you are measuring the wheel arches to determine if you truck is level it will mislead you as the rear arches are lower than the front. You need to measure at the body line above the key hole. Staggered tires with different heights can also effect the "rake". If you want to keep the same "rake" or "stance" you have now you need to order the individual parts to make an even drop such as 2/2, 4/4, etc.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Im measuring from the top of the tires to the bottom of the wheel arch opening. I like the stance it has now and it look very level from the side, I'd just like to drop it down another 2-2.5".

I see spindles from ChassisTech, StreetEdge, Belltech, McGaughys, Crown Suspension, Springtech etc. Some 2.5" and some 3". Just wondered if there were any to definitely avoid or if they were all about the same?

I'd rather do 2.5" front and 2" in the back to give it back a 1/2" rake. But I could do 3" front and 2.5" in the back with the rough country shackles that lower 2.5" and achieve the same results. Just depends on which spindles are considered the best.

WillSquared

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well the more I read the more it seems people are having interference issues when using the stock 15" wheels and the spindles. So i may just go with some coils in the front.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
If all you want is basically a 2/2 drop, you can do it on the cheap with just cutting one round off the bottom of the front coil springs which will net a 2-2.5in drop and a 2in drop shackles in the rear. If you decide to go with drop spindles I would recommend a 2.5in drop spindle from CPP with 15in wheels, a 3in drop spindle works better with larger wheels.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Here is a pic of before and after cutting front coils.

Attachments

• 05-02-10_1643.jpg
    05-02-10_1643.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 416
  • 09-18-10_1317.jpg
    09-18-10_1317.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 284

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member