Long vs Short Bed Bottom

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am wondering if anyone has done a comparision between the bed of a long box vs a short box.

My curiosities stem around that I have a long box I am thinking about converting into a short box and was thinking I could perhaps just cut some of the front and rear off the bed bottom and have a short box bottom.

A few areas that may or may not work properly would be the bump made in the bed for the fuel filler but what about the arches for the wheels?

Would you be able to take a short box bottom and a long box bottom and lay the short box on top and the arches match perfectly?

I was thinking that if this was possible then all someone would need is the side panels and it would be super simple to create a short box as the head wall would remain the same.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
The bed floor can be easily cut down to a swb but the bed sides will be much more difficult. If I recall correctly, the front of a lwb bed is 14in longer and the rear is 6in longer than a swb.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The bed floor can be easily cut down to a swb but the bed sides will be much more difficult. If I recall correctly, the front of a lwb bed is 14in longer and the rear is 6in longer than a swb.

I was kind of thinking the bed could work with the same taken off the frame to be taken off the bed.

Regarding the sides... those could be found in any junkyard or farmers field and make piecing together a new bed MUCH easier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising