K20/K30 bolt patterns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Swapping to 16" tires for the 10 ply advantage, means upgrading the wheel lugs to 14mm (or at least 1/2"), so the un sprung weight can be managed safely for highway driving... drill like you own it... be safe. The acorn's will bottom out and ruin your wheels if you try to use small size lugs on the larger 6 lug wheels, at 16". Your tires must match size for 4WD to work correctly, without breaking SH it.
The heck you talking about?

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Should have made myself clearer... My K5 has 15" 6x5.5... I picked up a set of 16" Boyd wheels so I could run 16" @ 10 ply tires, because the roads here and the quality of the recent 6 ply's have been for ****.

When I tried to mount the newer16" @ 6x5.5 which are 14mm holes, the acorn's for the 7/16"/20 were very close to bottoming, but would mount up close to OK on the rears. I'm very careful to match diameter, with the 4x4, however it is tough to keep ahead of tire failure living here, without a good income...

The center holes in the 16" wheels supposedly do not matter on the old style 4WD front wheel hubs, however the newer style 16" center holes, for drive lines with C/V joints, are supposed to fit perfect on the hub.

After performing a bunch of research, I was concerned about un sprung weight, (breaking axles or U-Joints) and the front acorn nuts (possibly) wallowing and allowing the 16" wheels to shift during turns. Especially since they larger, 16" @14mm lug wheels do not fit the hub centric on a GM 10 Bolt front axle hub.

Safety is critical for me. I was trained never to violate DOT regulations... and my tires were cut if I ever did...

I can only afford 2 tires at a time, every six to eight months apart, so buying wrong can ruin my ability to move. 5 years of sitting still and going nowhere will change a man...

Not having access to a Dana swap or 14B rear for either axle, I was contemplating and designing a process to remove, drill and re stud my hubs and axles with 14mm lugs... then I could use the larger wheels safely, with 14mm acorn nuts.

10 ply tires should last better from punctures and not worry about wheel shift or wallowing the aluminum mags on the front end, is what I was speaking about.

Sincerely hope you guys will pardon me from time to time... I been rode rough and put away wet for a very long time... My spine was crushed and has been operated on twice and I was left with a disc injury in my neck. Some days my lower back, my neck and a crapload of high stress situations, hit all at once.
Disability income is not enough money for an apartment, food, tires and truck parts... It takes me years to accumulate everything I have and it keeps breaking down before I can get rubber sorted out...

Sometimes, when I post here or sound overly determined, it's because I'm without money, left on disability with no cash for tires or axles or anyplace to go, if I have to move. Or I'm probably too tired and should not have written anything... Try my best not to do that in the future.

Been stressed about losing everything I own for several years now...
My engine was blown for a year, my trans was blown for a year and after a short while my new Trans is blown, again.
If you run off the highway on a rotten tire here, you can easily flip in a ditch 20-60 miles from help with no cell signal. Been driving under 55 for years, (except when I crossed the Bakken). Everything is a 100 mile drive away. Machine shops, tire shops, affordable parts stores, junk yards... just getting there is $100 round trip, or more.

Kinda get concerned about any mistakes, because self tax is something I cannot afford. Small mistakes are a huge loss to me, because I'm not allowed to return anything, ever.
It's complicated... my tires were cut and weights removed by gang stalkers for over 10 years... "tire's wherever you go", was the threat...
Nags on you after a while... finding wheel nuts loose, razor slices in your side walls, missing weights, poison sprayed in your ventilation system, windows smashed or cracked sitting in the driveway... Like I said ... complicated...

I'll try not to muck up your discussions with bad advice or confusing remarks in the future.

Last edited:

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
I can relate to some of Your stuff. My back is ok but heart is a 350 with 250.000 on it,,, Can blow up at anytime. And ssi don't leave Me with much square money. And We won't even talk about the rusted nuts. All We can do is do all We can..hang in there...

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Should have made myself clearer... My K5 has 15" 6x5.5... I picked up a set of 16" Boyd wheels so I could run 16" @ 10 ply tires, because the roads here and the quality of the recent 6 ply's have been for ****.

When I tried to mount the newer16" @ 6x5.5 which are 14mm holes, the acorn's for the 7/16"/20 were very close to bottoming, but would mount up close to OK on the rears. I'm very careful to match diameter, with the 4x4, however it is tough to keep ahead of tire failure living here, without a good income...

The center holes in the 16" wheels supposedly do not matter on the old style 4WD front wheel hubs, however the newer style 16" center holes, for drive lines with C/V joints, are supposed to fit perfect on the hub.

After performing a bunch of research, I was concerned about un sprung weight, (breaking axles or U-Joints) and the front acorn nuts (possibly) wallowing and allowing the 16" wheels to shift during turns. Especially since they larger wheels do not fit the hub centric properly. I can only afford 2 tires at a time, every six to eight months apart, so buying wrong can ruin my ability to move. 5 years of sitting still and going nowhere will change a man...

Not having access to a Dana swap or 14B rear for either axle, I was contemplating and designing a process to remove, drill and re stud my hubs and axles with 14mm lugs... then I could use the larger wheels safely, with 14mm acorn nuts.

10 ply tires should last better from punctures and not worry about wheel shift or wallowing the aluminum mags on the front end, is what I was speaking about.

Sincerely hope you guys will pardon me from time to time... I been rode rough and put away wet for a very long time... My spine was crushed and has been operated on twice and I was left with a disc injury in my neck. Some days my lower back, my neck and a crapload of high stress situations, hit all at once.
Disability income is not enough money for an apartment, food, tires and truck parts... It takes me years to accumulate everything I have and it keeps breaking down before I can get rubber sorted out...

Sometimes, when I post here or sound overly determined, it's because I'm without money, left on disability with no cash for tires or axles or anyplace to go, if I have to move. Or I'm probably too tired and should not have written anything... Try my best not to do that in the future.

Been stressed about losing everything I own for several years now...
My engine was blown for a year, my trans was blown for a year and after a short while my new Trans is blown, again.
If you run off the highway on a rotten tire here, you can easily flip in a ditch 20-60 miles from help with no cell signal. Been driving under 55 for years, (except when I crossed the Bakken). Everything is a 100 mile drive away. Machine shops, tire shops, affordable parts stores, junk yards... just getting there is $100 round trip, or more.

Kinda get concerned about any mistakes, because self tax is something I cannot afford. Small mistakes are a huge loss to me, because I'm not allowed to return anything, ever.
It's complicated... my tires were cut and weights removed by gang stalkers for over 10 years... "tire's wherever you go", was the threat...
Nags on you after a while...

I'll try not to muck up your discussions with bad advice or confusing remarks in the future.
So,,, I have to ask. What part of Earth do You live on?????????? I live in Far West Pa..

Last edited:

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@RanchWelder
Thanks for explaining. I understand now.
And idk how to respond really to your situation, other than with sympathy.
Guessing your location is nowhere near here, or I could hook you up with some more tires! Take care man!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli