howto empty gas tank??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoMizzou

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
5.7l
I have a 95 suburban that I want to get the old gas out of the tank. It's old enough that the engine dies shortly after starting, so I can't burn it off.

I believe that this has the fuel pump in the tank. Can I disconnect the fuel line at the filter and then just let it pump it out?

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
yes and no. if you just disconnect your line and turn the key on you will only get a short burst of fuel. without the engine running the fuel pump will not run. you could unplug the fuel pump and hot wire it. or trick your oil pressure sensor into thinking the engine is running. highdesertranger

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Yes there's a test wire that you jump and this allows for the pump to run whether the truck is on or not. Usually on the firewall or driver's fender area under the hood. If on the firewall, it's still closer to driver side. I think it's either Red or Gray... a single wire with a black terminal end/connector.

You can can also just use a jump pack at the pump connector.

Be aware you can only get so much with the pump. You'll have up to 5 gallons in the bottom you can't reach with the pump assembly the way it is.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85Shortsquare