How slow is your daily driver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
There was a 2021 3500 Crew Cab short bed behind me all evening Friday. I never got to run against them, but I did see that they ran consistent 16.30's-16.40's all evening. I didn't get to talk to the owner. Don't know if it was a Aisin or 68rfe.
Mine's an Aisin crew longbed with every weight adding option.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The slowest and absolutely worst riding vehicle I have ever driven had to be a 1994 Mazda b2300, and that's coming from a farm kid guys. Tractors with no suspension, old turd grain trucks, hell that Mazda rides worse than a riding lawn mower.

Not only that but the seat has been worn into a nice bowl shape where the driver sits, big old guys will do that to a little truck I suppose lol. Makes it very uncomfortable for us smaller guys after lol. But regardless of the seat, it rode like crap, and is the slowest damn thing I've driven lol.

I can appreciate the farm references. Some time ago far, far away I owned a 77 Toyota pickup. This truck was given to me and was way beyond worn out. It had the 20R and smoked so bad it would fill the sky pulling away from a stop sign. The truck was never going be repaired, it was far to gone. My solution for the smoking was 2 bottles of hyper-lube and topped off with 50W. Like that it would not smoke to much, but it would still smoke a little. It was slow.... Very slow. But it was geared low enough that whatever I could fit in the bed it would haul. But even empty, slow.....

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
It scoots, however I’m not sure if I’ve actually ever floored it.

I'm not sure I've ever driven any vehicle for more than a couple minutes without my right foot finding the floorboard at some point. I usually find out the top speed of a vehicle I buy (or damn close to it if that number is plain unreasonable) within the fist few days of owning it.

I can appreciate the farm references. Some time ago far, far away I owned a 77 Toyota pickup. This truck was given to me and was way beyond worn out. It had the 20R and smoked so bad it would fill the sky pulling away from a stop sign. The truck was never going be repaired, it was far to gone. My solution for the smoking was 2 bottles of hyper-lube and topped off with 50W. Like that it would not smoke to much, but it would still smoke a little. It was slow.... Very slow. But it was geared low enough that whatever I could fit in the bed it would haul. But even empty, slow.....
My first real vehicle was an '88 toyota pickup 4x4 with the 22re. It had about 80k on it when I got it, was in pretty damn impeccable shape with the exception of a rusty bed. Even with a non-worn out engine, and the addition of fuel injection over your 77, it was still incredibly slow. SO slow that people riding in it would sometimes think I was going fast just because they see you with your foot to the floor ripping through the first 3 gears making all sorts of noise and vibration, they start to complain that you're crazy when they realize you're only going 45mph and just trying to build enough speed up the onramp so you don't get crushed by a semi when you merge onto the highway lol.

I will agree though it was consistent in its slowness, whether the bed was empty or full to the top, it felt just the same. I've actually had several over the years (strangely enough they were all red 88s, not on purpose), at this point I would love to have another. Everyone wants so much money for them it's ridiculous. As slow as it was, I like the idea that you could still be chugging away at the same speed after the apocalypse. Also made an awesome little woods truck because it was so small and light with short gears

Last edited:

72velle

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Slowest car I ever drove was a 73 Dodge Dart with a smogged up 225. I think it would take a steep down hill to hit 50 with my foot on the floor. Absolutely hated that car.

1977shortbed

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
2x 1977
Truck Model
C10 & C20
Engine Size
350 & 454
82 camaro would run 0 to 60 in twenty seconds with a 305 and automatic.Yugo would about outrun it...lol

No way an 82 Camaro with a 305 is that slow unless there was something seriously wrong with the engine. They actually were pretty fast cars and would blow away a Yugo.

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
No way an 82 Camaro with a 305 is that slow unless there was something seriously wrong with the engine. They actually were pretty fast cars and would blow away a Yugo.
Maybe the Yugo had a 4 barrel carb? And the parts didnt fall off it....nah,cant happen.lol.But no, a 305 aint fast at less than 175 hp.Maybe 12 seconds. Lol

Last edited:

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Slowest car I ever drove was a 73 Dodge Dart with a smogged up 225. I think it would take a steep down hill to hit 50 with my foot on the floor. Absolutely hated that car.
Those 225s not known for hi perf, but was a durable engine

1977shortbed

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
2x 1977
Truck Model
C10 & C20
Engine Size
350 & 454
Maybe the Yugo had a 4 barrel carb? And the parts didnt fall off it....nah,cant happen.lol.But no, a 305 aint fast at less than 175 hp.
Fast compared to a Yugo, lol. Really a ridiculous comparison. The 305 Camaros ran good and I don't think they fell apart any worse than other cars from the era. My friends had several of them back in the day. I thought they were good cars and pretty fast for a stock 305 Camaro. Of course my 66 Chevelle with a 396 would stomp them. Another good running car with a 305 is the 83-88 Monte Carlo SS. They don't have a lot of horsepower either but are pretty fast and fun to drive. My current project is a 85 Monte Carlo SS. The 305 was bad so I installed a 350. I don't hate 305's but prefer more power.

Octane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Fast compared to a Yugo, lol. Really a ridiculous comparison. The 305 Camaros ran good and I don't think they fell apart any worse than other cars from the era. My friends had several of them back in the day. I thought they were good cars and pretty fast for a stock 305 Camaro. Of course my 66 Chevelle with a 396 would stomp them. Another good running car with a 305 is the 83-88 Monte Carlo SS. They don't have a lot of horsepower either but are pretty fast and fun to drive. My current project is a 85 Monte Carlo SS. The 305 was bad so I installed a 350. I don't hate 305's but prefer more power.
Just a comical comparison.lol Some of the 305s only had 145hp but some 350s only had 175 and up also.Ive never cared for those low compression smog motors but love the 350s,even have one in my 77k10.I had a friend with a Yugo and used to have a lot of fun pokin fun of it.He even put the ford blue oval on the back in place of the Yugo badge,so when it was broke down on side of road maybe folks would think it was just another broken Ford.lol

Ellie Niner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tory
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Silverado
Engine Size
LE9 305
I've owned a fast car before, but my mainstays are pretty lackluster. My 1986 is my current daily driver, and is equipped with its original LE9 305, 700R4, and 3.08 gears. Performance is ehh... variable... depending on whether the ESC, carburetor, and all the emissions controls are on speaking terms on any given day. If all the stars align, it's actually not as bad as you'd think, considering the Bonneville salt flats gearing.

Other potential drivers are a 1991 Lumina with a 3.1 and 3 speed auto. I actually had to look up performance specs, as it's not a car that's tempting to flog hard (though I kinda did in high school): 60mph in 11 seconds, ~18 second quarter mile. I've had it bouncing off the speed limiter at 115mph, which it doesn't have to work super hard to do. Keeps up with traffic fine.

My 1962 Studebaker Lark has a 259 V8, but is equipped with 3.07 gears and saddled with a 2nd gear start automatic, so it's about on par with the Lumina.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I'm not sure I've ever driven any vehicle for more than a couple minutes without my right foot finding the floorboard at some point. I usually find out the top speed of a vehicle I buy (or damn close to it if that number is plain unreasonable) within the fist few days of owning it.

lol, I’m not finding the top speed of that truck for a number of reasons. The most relevant being that it would not be exciting whatsoever.

I’m not finding the top speed of my daily because the jail time isn’t worth it. Maybe a track day might be fun once the factory tires wear out. I have a fully tunable suspension setup waiting to go on it that should make it feel more planted.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
lol, I’m not finding the top speed of that truck for a number of reasons. The most relevant being that it would not be exciting whatsoever.

I’m not finding the top speed of my daily because the jail time isn’t worth it. Maybe a track day might be fun once the factory tires wear out. I have a fully tunable suspension setup waiting to go on it that should make it feel more planted.
Wasn't specifically saying about "exciting" necessarily, it's just weird not knowing. Also, I drive long distances often, if I don't go extremely fast now and then I'd be on the road forever, ain't nobody got time for that.

Also, you won't go to jail for going fast down an empty stretch of highway while nobody is watching. Hah unless that's some fancy Tesla feature where they call the cops on you every time you go over the speed limit? And if you're that worried about it, drive the stretch of road first at normal speed, make sure there's no cops hiding in the bushes, turn around and hit it again in a minute or two. Hah, not only are the chances of being caught extremely rare, but if the thing really is such a rocket ship then I figure you'd just need to keep your foot in it and they would barely even see your tail lights? Idk I see no point in owning a car that I would brag about how fast it is all the time unless I was actually planning on going fast in it. You can go slow in any car, why do it in one of the fastest out there? Not saying you should drive around fast all the time like a crazy person, but seriously not even once? My brain will never comprehend such behavior.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
1996 f150 4.9l i6 e4OD with 3.08 rear ratio (open diff) and the stock 235/75R15 tire size.
because of fords.... beautifully modular system called EEC-V, also being a one year only unicorn because of ford changing the body in 97 but the 95 and older vehicles used an older computer system, I have been fighting and hunting down various things which have gotten it more and more "fast" than before and its actually quite close to as designed thank ******* god, but nonetheless..

The truck still has lingering fuel enrichment problems that carburetors solved with accelerator pumps and this truck solves with a lot of computer code and the computer looking for values from way too many inputs(emissions, obd2) to control silly things like driveability and mixture, the small stuff.

All that being said, on a good day when the enrichment is on-point, the truck actually hauls ass rather well considering the ratio and tire size. I wouldnt honestly expect that from it, so it does make me a little happier than just a couple months ago when I thought it wasnt capable of more. 145 horsepower and 265 lb-ft torque being the official HP and torque for a 6 cylinder with 4 speed and 3.08

After more fixes that enabled the electronic shifting to better react to throttle input, the transmission doesnt feel like a total slug either anymore. its basically a c6 with a over drive unit packed behind it.

So when I get on it, and it responds the way I hope it to, its actually impressive. 2nd and 3rd gear are quite good but if the transmission goes to 4th or even goes down to 1st, the shift times are increased and it seems like its not a crisp driver, so ive found that interesting.

But I will commend it, when loaded with bed capacity and towing my garbage trailer which is very much a wind restriction when its loaded(i remove the front and rear window when unloaded so less resistance), it hauls ass about as quick when unloaded and it doesnt complain. even when it gets hot and pukes 7-10 quarts of ATF you just let it dry its face, dump the amount back in, and it goes on as if nothing happened.

You must be registered for see images attach

this was before I made the window open-able and painted it black(trailer) but its a good visual representation of the resistance I speak of. I do wonder, however, if the trailer being a fair bit lower with a drop hitch and equivalent drop in ride height of the trailer would help the wind resistance part since the topper would sit less in the way of everything the cab plows through. Its not something I feel would ever make a huge difference, but pulling something thats not aerodynamic really can show you exaclty how much your not-heavy truck can be pushed around without much effort lol...

i thank the inline 6 for making it pull a trailer seemingly as fast as empty, and i thank the inline 6 for making me think the truck is faster than it definitely is because I did just WOT up a hill unloaded last night for a solid 30 seconds and I only maintained 78mph. Sure it was a steep hill but my park avenue would be taking that hill at 108 and only just starting to plateu speed wise... :(

Overall, the speed is somewhere close to 0 to 60 in 3.6... intersections

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
I had an idea.

Maybe a pretty good one - everybody in the website is invited .

We could have a site wide showdown IF

If we agreed on some kind of cell phone app that clocks e.t. - then we ALL could "virtually" drg race each other from across the globe and stuff, yeah?

There could be a site champion.
I believe that is a reasonable idea, don't you?
Screenshots instead of burning rubber loses luster yeah sure but it was only an idea.

Anyone know of some quality app to use? A GPS app or something? Virtual speedometer have drag race timers in them I'm certain.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I had an idea.

Maybe a pretty good one - everybody in the website is invited .

We could have a site wide showdown IF

If we agreed on some kind of cell phone app that clocks e.t. - then we ALL could "virtually" drg race each other from across the globe and stuff, yeah?

There could be a site champion.
I believe that is a reasonable idea, don't you?
Screenshots instead of burning rubber loses luster yeah sure but it was only an idea.

Anyone know of some quality app to use? A GPS app or something? Virtual speedometer have drag race timers in them I'm certain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey