Help with bolt location on Trans (85 K10)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Serge627

Reaction score
First Name
Ol Man
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Gents,

I recently picked up an 85 K10 and after going over it have found its a basket case, however I am working through it and straightening things out. This is my first Chevy Truck, so I saw this and thought it looked a bit odd.
I believe it is a TH700-R4 tranny and the engine decodes to a 72 307 :yawn:

Anyhow here is my question. On the pic below you see some labels (hopefully they are big enough to read lol)
There were two bolts on the bell housing that were VERY loose, I tightened the one up and the other will not fully tighten. There are also two missing bolts, one appears in the pic the other is exact same spot, opposite side. My question is, are the two that were loose supposed to be in those spots, or were they supposed to go where the two missing are when this eng/trans was put in, however long ago that may have been. Like I said its a basket case, but I got it cheap and its fun!
BTW the one I marked oil pan is the trans fluid pan, sorry.

You must be registered for see images attach

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Just your torque converter cover. Leave it off if you want. I wouldn't worry too much about it as long as at least 2 bolts are tight.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That big bolt is for the brace bars that usually get discarded when doing motor mounts, or repairing the trans or exhaust. The empty bolt holes are basically the same thing but for a different design. Take good care of that torque converter inspection cover, they are high dollar to replace. It is cast aluminum and probably why the bolt hole is stripped out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loki1978