Help ID this switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPE

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Can anyone help ID the switch in this pic above the headlight knob? Best I can figure is it's a wiper switch? If so, didn't they stop using this type in 83?

Funny thing is this pic came from the truck I recently bought. VIN confirms it is a 1986. I have a wiper switch on the column like an 86 should. This might help explain why I'm having trouble finding the connection to the wipers from the steering column as described here http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11238

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 146

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Interestingly, that's a delay wiper switch from an earlier model.

You must be registered for see images attach

JPE

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the confirmation. So my wiring & dash seem to indicate an 83 or older, the steering column appears to be from an 84-87, and the VIN tag clearly indicates an 86.

Not sure what I have going on. Could be as simple as a pre-83 truck with an 86 VIN tag & steering column. Or maybe its an 86 truck with an 83 cab & wiring harness (with the 86 VIN swapped over). Or of course it could be any combination in between. Fun times...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Interesting for sure.

JPE

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Interestingly, that's a delay wiper switch from an earlier model.

You must be registered for see images attach

Can someone explain how this switch should work? I've managed to get the wipers functional but only at a single speed and so far haven't gotten the washer pump going.

I'm guessing one stop to the right should be low speed & the second stop high speed. Is the position to the left for intermittent wipers? It looks like the knob spins so does that control speed? And how would you activate the washer pump?

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
Move to the left for a 'mist' position. It will wipe as long as you hold it to the left.

One click to the right is intermittent. Rotate the know clockwise to decrease the timed interval, i.e. make the wipers run more. It may not run at all if fully counter-clockwise, and may run all the time if fully clockwise (depends on how the timing circuit has 'aged').

Two clicks to the right will be low speed.

Three clicks to the right is high speed.

Pushing the knob in will activate the washer pump and activate the wipers.

JPE

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Great info. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members