Hazard Switch won't turn off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yesterday I replaced bulbs so everything was fresh. It fixed some of my turn signal issues. I still have to track down some gremlins so the turn signals work like they should.

Right before sundown today I went to test the hazards to make sure those work, knowing that the driver's side front most likely wouldn't blink, and I was correct. My problem is the hazard switch won't move now. I tried a few different times but it won't pull back out to turn off the hazards. I suspect something broke inside the column.

Is there a trick to turning off the hazards? Honestly, I have never had to use hazards in a square. I didn't want to ruin the guts of the column by prying too hard and potentially breaking stuff.

Any ideas? I disconnected the battery and will be driving my jeep until I can get this problem fixed.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Well for right now you could just pull the hazard flash out. That would make them stop flashing so you can drive the truck at least, though I'm not sure if your regular turn signals will work, you'd have to try and check . There is a little Philips screw in the middle of the push / pull switch you can take that out and the to button things will come off and you can check to make sure the buttons aren't just bound up on each other, then when you reinstall make sure they are secure and that's about all you can do without tearing the column down. hopefully this helps.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Thanks, didn't think of pulling the flasher. I forgot to mention that the two pieces are not bound up. The inner part of button pushed in with a little effort, and the outer part still slides. I know they're not incredibly easy to push in, so it felt normal compared to the hazard switch in my jeep cherokee. For some reason it won't pull back out to turn them off. Probably has to do with the 41 year old plastic. I just watched a video of guy the had to make a key, and he showed how the hazard switch works when he reinstalled button. How he operated the switch is how I figured it worked. I'll try again in the morning, if it works I can drive the truck. If not, the jeep is back in rotation.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Just need to pull a little hard, it will do the freeslide like you're feeling then it will pop

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I tried it before checking in on this thread and it popped loose, definitely took more effort than I expected, but then again it hasn't been used for most of its life. I pushed it back and it popped back out using the extra force. I was concerned it would break having to pull like that. Looks like the truck is still in service. Now to track down the other gremlins...lol...

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I tried it before checking in on this thread and it popped loose, definitely took more effort than I expected, but then again it hasn't been used for most of its life. I pushed it back and it popped back out using the extra force. I was concerned it would break having to pull like that. Looks like the truck is still in service. Now to track down the other gremlins...lol...
Good deal. IDK what kind of Jeep you have but I've got a 96 Cherokee, it's all right but I'd far rather be in the truck!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Good deal. IDK what kind of Jeep you have but I've got a 96 Cherokee, it's all right but I'd far rather be in the truck!
I was glad when it popped out.

Now I get to track down some grounding issues with my turn signals. I just read a sticky over in the electrical section, so I have a plan of attack. I showed my wife what it was doing yesterday, which is different than what it did Saturday after changing the bulbs, and she laughed in disbelief like I did because it makes no sense, but grounding issues do weird things and I told her that.

My Jeep is a '91 with the 4.0, bought it from the original owner with 88k and it now has 210k, it has been a huge blessing to own as it has been one of the most reliable vehicles and has taken us all over the place. Everything is stock except the suspension, I swapped in an Old Man Emu spring and shock kit back in 2004 and really like the way it rides. It's showing its age now, but it still runs well and doesn't burn or use oil. It too has its own electrical gremlins I have to track down.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I was glad when it popped out.

Now I get to track down some grounding issues with my turn signals. I just read a sticky over in the electrical section, so I have a plan of attack. I showed my wife what it was doing yesterday, which is different than what it did Saturday after changing the bulbs, and she laughed in disbelief like I did because it makes no sense, but grounding issues do weird things and I told her that.

My Jeep is a '91 with the 4.0, bought it from the original owner with 88k and it now has 210k, it has been a huge blessing to own as it has been one of the most reliable vehicles and has taken us all over the place. Everything is stock except the suspension, I swapped in an Old Man Emu spring and shock kit back in 2004 and really like the way it rides. It's showing its age now, but it still runs well and doesn't burn or use oil. It too has its own electrical gremlins I have to track down.
Mines a 96 Grand Cherokee. Long story short around 2013 or so my Grand father gave up driving and I inherited his 92 Toyota Pickup, I really didn't need a small truck but it got good gas mileage, so I used it kind of like a commuter. Plus you can haul lighter loads in it. I was hit one morning on the way to work. I stopped at a stop sign the woman in the car behind me full forced into my rear end. Bad enough to bend the frame. We were doing a lot of RV camping at the time and needed a rig big enough for two adults and 2 great danes to fit in, and small enough to be able to flat tow behind the RV and I want to be able to buy it for what the insurance paid us out for the Toyota. The Jeep was it, and like you we have ended up taking it on a few long driving trips. I like it well enough, it's fine but it's not really what I prefer to drive.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
I like each vehicle for different reasons. The jeep for it's utility and 4x4, the 81 because it's cool and can haul stuff, Crusty Biscuit because it's even cooler than the 81 and can haul stuff, and the turbocharged forester because it handles like a cat on sandpaper and is just fun to drive, especially rally-style on dirt roads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe