Fuel Sender question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
I know this isnt about a square but here it goes:

I have a 1988 Pickup that my dad bought and it has aftermarket gauges in it.
I was wondering if a factory OEM sender is/will work with the Stewart Warner fuel gauge?

These is the gauges that this truck has: http://www.stewartwarner.com/en-US/Products/StewartWarner/Product-families/Wings™.aspx

At one time the truck had a 6.2 liter diesel in it. It was converted to a 350 Gasoline carburated engine. The PO had installed the gauges in place of where the factory gauges would be.

The other gauges work like the speedometer, volts, oil pressure and coolant temperature.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The fuel gauges with P/N's 82493/94 are both setup to work with a 0-90 ohm sender. That is the resistance range of a GM factory sender for 1988. So, I would say yes, those two Stewart Warner gauges are compatible with the factory sender.

But not the 82471 - that won't work.

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
The fuel gauges with P/N's 82493/94 are both setup to work with a 0-90 ohm sender. That is the resistance range of a GM factory sender for 1988. So, I would say yes, those two Stewart Warner gauges are compatible with the factory sender.

But not the 82471 - that won't work.

This is the only numbers I found on my gauge:
You must be registered for see images attach

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
my question would be, why put an after market gauge in. the diesel sending units would still work with gas just change the sock. seems like a lot of trouble for a 10 buck part. highdesertranger

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
my question would be, why put an after market gauge in. the diesel sending units would still work with gas just change the sock. seems like a lot of trouble for a 10 buck part. highdesertranger

Because the PO had removed the 6.2L Diesel and installed a carburated 350 Gasoline motor in it.

The old sending unit had been broken before and the sending unit itself was zipped tied to the sender body. It was ratcrapped.

We ended up ordering a new diesel sending unit along with the correct Stewart Warner Fuel gauge. Now everything works fine now....

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
you realize the socks are different for gas. if you put a diesel sending unit in you would then need to change the sock. next question why didn't you just put a gasser sending unit in? highdesertranger

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
you realize the socks are different for gas. if you put a diesel sending unit in you would then need to change the sock. next question why didn't you just put a gasser sending unit in? highdesertranger

If I had put a gasoline sending unit in there I would have a Huge gap in place where the fuel pump would be at. These model diesel versions don't have a fuel pump in the tank.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
so put a sending unit in from a mechanical pump gasser. you still have the wrong sock. highdesertranger

mrnapolean1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
'87
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3 V6
so put a sending unit in from a mechanical pump gasser. you still have the wrong sock. highdesertranger

If the sock gives me problems, I deal with that later. Plus the old sending unit still had the diesel sock on it and the truck ran fine. They just did a half ass job on the wiring harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli