Front bottoms out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cksquaredtrucks

Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
1973-1991
Truck Model
C30 K30
Engine Size
Big Block
Just go to a junkyard and get stock springs to put back in it. The drop spindle will not affect ride quality as it only raises the mounting point of the tire and wheel, essentially. If it is not low enough for your liking with stock springs, you can cut them down very successfully with a cut off wheel until you get the ride height that you want. If you cut too much you will end up right back where you started, obviously. If you bought lowered shocks for the front, you will have to put stock length shocks back in with only the spindle.

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
Yeah, sounds like you are riding on the bump stops.
Not a fun ride.
It took me years to find out how to get my truck to drive well.

Your spindles should be fine.
You just have too much of a drop for your current setup.
Problem is if you raise the front then it may mess with your overall rake.
The truck sits nice but you need to be able to drive it.

There are a couple of areas you may be bottoming out on:
shock travel
lower control arm bump stop
inner wheel well

Put a zip tie on your shock shaft if you can see the shaft. Drive it around and then look to see where the zip tie ended up.
This will show you how much travel your shock has.(it's a motorcycle fork setup trick)

You may have to cut your bump stop down.
I think the stock bump stop clearance is over an inch. Someone here with a stock truck could tell you. You want to maintain the same clearance with the bump stop if possible.

The inner fender well may need to altered to keep the tire from rubbing inside.

I just re-read all of your posts.
Grab a set of new springs for the front. If they are too high, cut one coil off. This will keep the spring indexed in the slot. You may want to buy new springs as salvage yard springs may be tired.

Last edited:

Ivan Lopez

Reaction score
First Name
Ivan Lopez
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thank you for all your suggestions. I ordered a set of 2 inch lowering springs that should raise the height up approx 2 inches and level with the back and hopefully improve ride quality. Planing to install them as soon as they arrive!

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
Thank you for all your suggestions. I ordered a set of 2 inch lowering springs that should raise the height up approx 2 inches and level with the back and hopefully improve ride quality. Planing to install them as soon as they arrive!
I just saw your question about the springs. I have Western Chassis 3” drop springs.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
6" in front is maybe too much..whit tall rim and tire..youy gonne hit the inner fender before botom out! got 29" tire with 4.5 front drop whit 2"coil and 3" spindle (got to put a rubber spacer on driver coil to get rid of the famous "chevy lean" ) ;)

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uberbeans