Finally decided on motor build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
406 sbc
997 cast heads 76cc
Stock 400 crank
Comp magnum 292h 501 lift cam kit including springs, lifters, timing chain,etc.
2500-6500rpm range
Sealed powere rebuild kit with .030 forged pistons for 5.7 rods for 10.56:1 compression.
Eagle I beam 5.7 rods
Edelbrock performer intake
Summit 750cfm carb

What yall think?

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Oh and long tube truck headers.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
406 sbc
997 cast heads 76cc
Stock 400 crank
Comp magnum 292h 501 lift cam kit including springs, lifters, timing chain,etc.
2500-6500rpm range
Sealed powere rebuild kit with .030 forged pistons for 5.7 rods for 10.56:1 compression.
Eagle I beam 5.7 rods
Edelbrock performer intake
Summit 750cfm carb

What yall think?

Depends on what you are after! Pump gas or not.
10.56 compression is high for pump gas but you do have a lot of cam so you might drop the cylinder pressure enough to get away with it.
Those heads you can use but if you want to make real deal power I would not run those heads , go aftermarket.
Aluminum heads you can get away with more compression than iron.
If your quench is tight you can get away with more compression as well.
You need to know exactly what pistons you have and how high they are in the deck to know what your real compression will be with any head you use.
997 heads have small valves and dont flow all that great and if you have the compression that you say you have vortec heads will make your compression way to high for pump gas.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Ok was always wondering when u say high compression would 9 compression be better for my app if so i could just use the 5.65 rods to get me in the 9's

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:popcorn:

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
Ok was always wondering when u say high compression would 9 compression be better for my app if so i could just use the 5.65 rods to get me in the 9's

9 , 9.5 to 1 yes if its your everyday go to work truck , 10 to 1 and up if it's your race gas week end drag truck.

5.7 rods are great in a 400 , (less stress for the crankshaft) , but you have to have right piston's for a 400 with 5.7 rod's .

Basicly if you want to have a bad ass street , pump gas motor , a quench motor is the way to go.

The 292 cam is a little wild for a 9 to 1 motor as well , but for 10 to 1 and up it's all good , imo.

It's all about cylinder pressure , which is all in your combo , compression and cam choice which makes up your cylinder pressure or dynamic compression.

What is your truck , a driver or a drag racer (race gas), or do you want to be on the edge , a street strip truck that is really fast but must run on 92 octane?

Your tranny , rear gear's , and tire size come into play for a motor build as well.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Well i want it to be a bad ass street ride, prob never gonna take to the drag strip. Gonna be running a 700r4 not sure on converter never figured out what to run. And I have the gm 12 bolt rear end im gonna do a disc brake upgrade. I believe i currently have 4.11 gears in it. The truck origionally had a 6 cylindar when my great grandfater owned it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Depends on what you are after! Pump gas or not.
10.56 compression is high for pump gas but you do have a lot of cam so you might drop the cylinder pressure enough to get away with it.
Those heads you can use but if you want to make real deal power I would not run those heads , go aftermarket.
Aluminum heads you can get away with more compression than iron.
If your quench is tight you can get away with more compression as well.
You need to know exactly what pistons you have and how high they are in the deck to know what your real compression will be with any head you use.
997 heads have small valves and dont flow all that great and if you have the compression that you say you have vortec heads will make your compression way to high for pump gas.

Yeah, I say it's doubtful to be at 10.5:1 with those 76CC chamber heads. I too would go aftermarket. IF that don't fit the budget, the I'd at least go vortecs, but you'll need some work done to them for steam holes and to handle that much lift from the cam. And you might very get 10.5 with the Vortecs, then by the time you bleed down with that lopey cam, you might be ok on 91 pump gas. Do you're homework and know your CC dish or CC dome on your pistons, and know your Static and Dynamic Compression ratios according to your cam by lift, duration and lobe center angles. Sometimes you get lucky and throw some **** together, but it is best to KNOW where everything comes in at. This is how you will know what to tweak in your build, and also how to tune when built.

BTW, I think you need the Performer RPM intake. It'll get you a bit better top end where the Performer will run out of room at the big end.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Yea was debating on performer rpm. Im gonna talk to the machine shop im gonna use for the bore and cleaning the heads. Im gonna do some polishing of the heads myself but cant afford any aftermarket heads and all the work that needs to be done

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Ohh yeah yeah. I remember this convo now. You're trying to stay on a budget. Those pistons got to be pricey. You might be able to go with some case or hyper pistons cut some cost there, but maybe not, and if so, then that's more money to spend on heads. Just plan on it. Your head work is where the big money gets spent.

Kinda like when you buy a nice rifle, you want a good scope, you'll spend as much on the scope as you did the rifle. Same here. You'll spend as much on heads as you will your shortblock maybe even more.

4thgentruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 shortbed stepside.
Engine Size
Well the pistons and rebuild kit is
9.08:1 comp. With 76cc heads for 429
9.62:1 comp. With 76cc heads for 419
10.56:1 comp. With 76cc heads for 459 for use with 5.7 rods.

But i see what your sayin. Just cant afford to go spend alot of $$ if i got a good set of heads that dont cost me nothing but to get cleaned and magnafluxed and new springs retainers and all intalled is only gonna cost me $110 from local machine shop.

The cam comes with the springs retainers seats and lifters for $ 401.

The I beam rods are in the 200 dollar range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody