extension housing leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well I've been working in this th350 trans leak and have replaced the extension shaft seal and thought I had it fixed, looked at it today and it's still dripping so I guess I will try and plug up the weep hole and see if it keeps it from leaking.
Something I noticed while cleaning up the tail shaft that the yoke slips on to, it had some play in it when I was cleaning trans fluid off it. Is that normal, I'm assuming it is supposed to have some play but am wondering now if it should.
If that doesn't fix the leak, should I look into a different extension housing? What are some other options besides full rebuild or different transmission?

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If the yoke is sloppy in the tail housing then you need to put in a new bushing, that will cause a leak at the seal also, that should be done before it messes up the yoke.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's not the yoke that moves, I'm talking the part the yoke slips on to that has some movement

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The yoke slips into the tail housing on the tranny, is that loose???, tighten the 4 bolts that hold the housing to the case, that would leak fluid if that was loose.

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The four bolts are tight, I just sealed up the weep hole with some hardening gasket sealer and am hoping it holds for a while. The tail shaft itself is what has a little play in it not the housing. It's not a lot but jiggles a little bit.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok, do you mean the output shaft in the tranny??, if so that's normal because there's nothing in the housing to hold it, it's held in line by the yoke that's centered in a bushing in the tail housing..

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Ok, yeah that's what I figured, just hadn't messed with transmissions enough to know. First time I've ever had to change a rear seal. Next I get to try and figure out a rear main two piece seal! Yay! Lol (sarcasm)

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I just replaced the rear seal in mine a couple months ago in my beater, it's easy lot of room on a truck pan comes right off no need to lift the motor, pop the main cap the seal slides out of the block, slide a new one in(just make sure the lip is facing to the inside on both halves,lol)torque the cap back on and put the pan on, done deal..

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah I have seen it done on videos but I hadn't had the chance to do it. Wanted to wait until it needed an oil change, that way I could see if anything major was going on inside the motor. I have to say that this old 350 has been a healthy motor, it was a remanufactured motor from Springfield Missouri, don't know how many miles are in it but last year I took the valve covers off and it was clean as a whistle under there, no chunks, burnt oil, and such. Only has a few issues, still has the front and rear rubber gaskets under the intake, needs some good valve covers and intake, which I have an intake, and needs about 200 more horsepower! Lol other than it being a junkyard dog, it's been a relatively easy truck to tinker with and learn from.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Yeah, they are easy to work on with all the space, especially if you don't have all the smog garbage, even with a big block it's easy to work on..

Jarhead79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's nice to be able to crawl underneath a vehicle for a change, even with the small drop ive got I can squeeze under it, lol. Most my vehicles have been lowered or sports cars.
Only issue with being under it is that I have problems with vertigo when I lay on my back and have to turn my head to the left, takes me a few moments to get back up when I crawl out under it.

Last edited:

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thing that's nice when they're lowered it makes it easier to work under the hood, then it's the opposite when they're not lowered, can't win for losing, lol..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP