Engine Still Misses After Replacing Ignition Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
I ended up not getting to it before I came back to school unfortunately. I'll check all the fuel lines and such first when I get home in a couple weeks

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
Well for whenever you get back from school,,, If your idling at 1200 rpm,s,,,thats way too high,,,and if its idling up to 1800 rpms???? Is it surging,,,,??? Sounds like a big vacuum leak,,,if you hook it up to a vacuum gauge it will really help diagnose a vacuum leak,,,,

My 89 V2500 TBI runs just about perfect,,,,not missing idles perfect now after tbi rebuild good power under load,,,,,and im still getting a code 44,,,,

Try to use ac delco parts whenever possible,,,,if you use ac delco plugs make sure you gap them correctly,,,don't just throw em in out of the box they'll be way off and your truck will run way better if theyre correctly gapped,,,I think a spark plug with incorrect gap will give you a miss but sounds like you have a lot of other problems on top of that,,,,

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
Where might one find a vacuum gauge? Also if I replaced most of the vacuum lined should I probably be going after the intake gasket at this point?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Harbor Freight has some cheap diagnostic stuff. For Vacuum that's not real critical and hard to have a bad one, I would try HF for a Vac Gauge.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
My truck had an intake manifold leak when I bought it. Idle would surge up and down. A mechanic told me I had a bad intake manifold so I replaced it myself and the idle surge went away. Sometimes it would run a lot better when it warmed up because when it warmed up the intake gasket would seal better (leak less?). I wouldn't replace your intake manifold gasket unless you knew for sure that it was bad because it is a lot of work to replace. A Vacuum gage hooked up to an intake manifold port should be able to easily diagnose a bad intake gasket. Any parts store or Harbor Freight would have one.

benscharlotte21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
If I cant do something with all of this I think it is a sign...
Thank you all

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If I cant do something with all of this I think it is a sign...
Thank you all

I agree with you on that statement.

It's alot to absorb. Take your time, read and reread. Follow the steps and eventually you're going to find your problem and resolve it. And once you do, then you'll realize how it easy it was.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85