Engine Recipe Needed_ '83 350 Work Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Ok, the original 305 in my '83 K10 is starting to reach the end of its service life. I have managed to procure a 350 from a 86 K20 with "M" in the VIN, heavy duty which I suspect pertains mostly to the emissions pkg (correct me if I'm wrong).

Will freshen the '86 350 up w/ gaskets, rings and bearings before installing. Would really appreciate some sage advice regarding:
Cam selection, Exhaust manifolds (use 305's or 350's), Intake manifold use stock cast iron 350 intake or use the aluminum Edelbrock that I have on the 305.

My priorities are as follows:
#1 - Reliability & durability
#1.1 Cost
#2 - Smooth running
#3 - Efficiency
#4 - Reasonable power

Truck is purely a work truck, jumping on the gas simply means work tools in tailgate-less bed will be immediately ejected and immediately run over by ever present trailer.
Transmission is 700R4, axles are 3.42, tires are stock, carb is Edelbrock 4 bbl.

My objective is to keep the costs way down, so buying new Vortec heads, etc is not an option. Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The stock cam isn't bad for that. If you want more torque for pulling that trailer, put in the Comp Cams 12-300-4. Very high torque at low rpm (420+ ftlbs @ 2500 rpm) and stock lift, for longer valve train life than higher lift cams. Replace the lifters and springs if you change out the cam. Use the Edelbrock manifold. Headers would be good for breathing too, but not necessary for torque.

There are some tricks for tuning the Edelbrock. Google my last name and tuning, Edelbrock, rods, jets. If you can't find my tune, let me know.

fussfeld

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
j
Truck Year
Truck Model
c-10
Engine Size
4.3 v-6 262CID
This is not sage advice, it is just my opinion:

If you want something that meets all 5 requirements, then a crate engine is the most efficient way to go.

Yes, i was a scrounger too, but no more; i mean it's a 30 yr old engine---not saying it can't be rebuilt/manufactured, BUT a crate is going to be easier, saves time, and might be cheaper or about the same.

i just swapped an 86 4.3 v-6 in, which does run, but as soon as i'm able i'm getting a reman 4.3 from GM because the old one is just too marginal.

i'm pretty much done with used parts.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Many thanks for the advice. Will be pulling the engine in the next few days and taking to my shop. But along the way I did some cylinder pressure testing, found 175 psig (+/- 5 psi) on all the cylinders. Found oil pressure at 40 psig with engine idling cold. No smoke while running. No gasket/seal leakage. Spoke to previous owner (ASE mechanic) he said he had no issues working the truck 6-8 hour days. Leaning heavily to just storing this motor, then popping in my truck when needed, as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef