Edel Carb issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You're trying to drive a vintage truck, like it's a modern truck. Go out and start it and let it warm up for a good 4 or 5 minutes while you get stuff together or dink around in the garage. Then blip the gas to bring the idle down and then put it in gear and report back to us.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Did it.. And for some reason the carb still is mis-adjusted and not acting properly. My choking procedure does not cause the carb to be out of adjustment. Also, I do let the thing warm up every morning for a good 5 minutes before driving it. I do not just hop in crank, slam into gear and go. I even let my modern fuel injected vehicles warm up for a few minutes before I start driving.

The choke should stay in a choked position until I make a conscious decision to kick it off. It should not kick itself off when placing the truck into gear.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
One other question I have is a few replies up you mentioned something about blocking off ports on the carb to see if it made a difference.. Because any unused port/ports on the carb should be completely plugged off. The vacuum readings look better and more stable using the big port on the carb don't they? But unless you have a larger cam in it, i'd say they are a little on the light side of things, which adjusting the timing a few degrees one way or another can help that. Also though, tweaking your air/fuel screws and idle speed screw can have an effect on the vacuum readings as well. once you get it close its somewhat about splitting hairs to get it fine tuned. But, on the plus side if you have a vacuum gauge it's one of the best ways to fine tune an engine! Tune it for the best vacuum at idle and the rest should fall into place. I tend to disagree with the notion you shouldn't be able to fire it up and within a few seconds drive away if you choose. My 500hp 10.5:1 468 running 110 octane with an 850 Demon on it I can fire it up cold, back it out of the garage and drive away. and it has the Heat cross overs on the heads blocked off. I think something is just a little off with the timing and/or carb that a little tweaking can cure.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
One other question I have is a few replies up you mentioned something about blocking off ports on the carb to see if it made a difference.. Because any unused port/ports on the carb should be completely plugged off. The vacuum readings look better and more stable using the big port on the carb don't they? But unless you have a larger cam in it, i'd say they are a little on the light side of things, which adjusting the timing a few degrees one way or another can help that. Also though, tweaking your air/fuel screws and idle speed screw can have an effect on the vacuum readings as well. once you get it close its somewhat about splitting hairs to get it fine tuned. But, on the plus side if you have a vacuum gauge it's one of the best ways to fine tune an engine! Tune it for the best vacuum at idle and the rest should fall into place. I tend to disagree with the notion you shouldn't be able to fire it up and within a few seconds drive away if you choose. My 500hp 10.5:1 468 running 110 octane with an 850 Demon on it I can fire it up cold, back it out of the garage and drive away. and it has the Heat cross overs on the heads blocked off. I think something is just a little off with the timing and/or carb that a little tweaking can cure.

Agreed. A vacuum gauge is pert near a mandatory tool for any carb tuning.

FWIW, my square with QJ I can fire up cold and put it into gear almost immediately to get it out of the garage before it asphyxiates anybody and doesn't stumble even a little bit.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Here is the info off my cam card: I do not feel its a large cam but once again I am not versed well enough to say for sure. and I was thinking they are on the low side as well. Currently my timing is set at 14° initial. I am guessing it would like some more as before this I had it at 12° and it was just ok but not nearly as it is now.
speed pro cs-1013r cam and lifters.
  • 2000-4500 RPM Range,
  • 288 intake/298 exhaust Adv Dur,
  • [email protected] 214 intake/224 exhaust,
  • Valve Lift 443 intake/465 exhaust,
  • Lobe C/L 112
And yes, all of the ports on the carb are used. passenger side runs to the dizzy, driver side runs to a "T" which connects the HVAC and the transmission module, the center is the PCV, and rear is brake booster, the other additional on the manifold is plugged with a NPT plug.

I am 100% with you on things are just a little bit off, be it a combination of timing and those mixture screws (pretty sure the original shop adjusted my TV cable, then bumped my timing up 2° and returned the carb back to out of box adjustments and called it "tuned"). I am pretty un-easy adjusting these pieces at this point, as this thing has me second guessing everything now. The way I see it so long as oil is warm enough to flow with a proper pressure through the engine it should be able to be driven no matter the outside temp. Granted maybe not immediately down a drag strip, but down around the block off to work should not be a problem. This is how my old carbs worked and I never had a problem nor did I ever need to adjust them, they came with the trucks and worked great.

Since I'm not 100% confident on my tuning ability I made an appointment with a restro shop to see what they think about it and what they can do with it. I'll be sure to pass along the info I've found here, being the first time I've had a vacuum gauge I have no idea why I haven't bought one before now.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dropped the truck off this morning at 0900 got a text at 1300 saying its done. Here is what they said.

It was a simple fix, bad wire going to choke, then bumped up idle a little and installed fuel pressure regulator and gauge. $150

Now I'm working out a way to get back up there and pick it up (hour drive) super worth it, so long as things are in fact working right. But I trust this place, they restore and sell classics for their main business, and specialize in old Broncos.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Good deal, keep up posted on how she runs when you get her home.

Dutch Rutter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Good deal, keep up posted on how she runs when you get her home.

Got her back to work and hol-E-crap she is running amazingly. I've honestly never had a carb'd engine run this smoothly. Turns out the wire, for the choke that came with the carb from edelbrock, had its spade connector crimped around the insulation and not the wire at all. Sure makes me feel dumb that I didn't notice this. After they added the regulator and getting the fuel pressure down into check (this is why it was loading up and running rich at times) the engine would idle at 500rpm in gear, way too low, which is why they bumped the idle speed.

They did say the regulator is set at a constant 7 psi (out of the box adjustment) I do think this is a little high for an edelbrock as they say 4-5.5 so I will probably try lowering it this weekend and see how it does.

Big thank you to Qbuff for learning me carb things!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS