Early LS Computer on an 1986 TPI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
I know its been done. I know there is a kit to do this, ($1800).... But I always have 10 million side projects going on at the same time, I have 4 TPI set ups, and I have an extra 12200411 computer, with plugs.

Has any body here played around with this stuff? If so was it worth it?

Why?
Go form batch fired injectors to sequentially fired injectors.
Better programming.
Better Mass air flow sensor, and O2 sensors.
Run monster came and get it to ideal.
Will not perform like LS motor, but looks way cooler in a square.

Chime in please! Even if you think its crazy.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I know its been done. I know there is a kit to do this, ($1800).... But I always have 10 million side projects going on at the same time, I have 4 TPI set ups, and I have an extra 12200411 computer, with plugs.

Has any body here played around with this stuff? If so was it worth it?

Why?
Go form batch fired injectors to sequentially fired injectors.
Better programming.
Better Mass air flow sensor, and O2 sensors.
Run monster came and get it to ideal.
Will not perform like LS motor, but looks way cooler in a square.

Chime in please! Even if you think its crazy.

It can be done, the challenge would be running a distributor if you wanted to do so.
you would have to run a gen1 Vortec timing cover for a crank sensor, and there is a way to use a vortc dizzy as a cam sensor unit. but it would be a piece of cake just to use the LS coil packs. Keep in mind that you will have to shuffle some coil and injector plugs...the LS firing order is different than traditional SBC and BBC's...and, Retro has my old TPI air cleaner setup that I made, would be perfect for the MAF, And IAT sensor...see if he can snap ou a few pics.

Last edited:

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
I have already got a vortec distributor, and timing cover with crank sensor. I still need the wheel thing that goes on the crank, mass air sensor, and a few plugs. The 411 computer was used on G vans in 01 & 02, which still had small block motors,(non LS) and ran vortec dizzy. That is the only 2 years that an LS computer was used on non LS small block.

Love to see your pictures.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I have already got a vortec distributor, and timing cover with crank sensor. I still need the wheel thing that goes on the crank, mass air sensor, and a few plugs. The 411 computer was used on G vans in 01 & 02, which still had small block motors,(non LS) and ran vortec dizzy. That is the only 2 years that an LS computer was used on non LS small block.

Love to see your pictures.

I dont really have but 1 pic in my gallery, and a youtube video. If you have the harness, or the diagram to make the harness work with a distributor, it should be just fine, and should run very well.
Here is the YT vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzg8TWyyTMo

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
How you guys know all this stuff... :popcorn:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Because we have a natural obsession to tinker with this stuff, and as a result, we use all resources to gain as much info on the subject as possible....its too bad that prospective employers dont bother to consider that, opposed to the consideration that they give the applicant that was fortunate enough to afford thousands of dollars, paying dim instructors like what that F*rd guy had.....i forget his name...LOL!

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
That sums it up for me. Well put. I do NOT know this stuff, but I teaching myself. I'm no genus by any means, just like to tinker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP