Drivetrain noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beefcake35

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
HI, I was hoping someone can help me out before I pull the rest of my hair out. I have a 79K10 350At with the NP203. Few months back I had a part time kit put in my Transfer Case (previous owner had lockouts put on it). few hundred miles later I was getting a bunch of noise from what sounded like my transfer case. I drained a bit of oil and it had metal flakes so I picked up another and had it checked out before I swapped them (it has the part time kit too Mile Marker Kit). Well here I am and the noise is still there. It sounds like a growling noise and its very noticeable when I accelerate and decelerate. So- I pulled the rear driveshaft and took it for a drive..... no noise whatsoever. While I had it off I checked the U joints and they seemed fine but I replaced them. Put the driveshaft back on and it still does it. Thoughts? Can I drive it for a bit with just the front driveshaft? Thanks so much in advance. I am at a loss.