Driveline Angle Help Needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyBlazeLQ4

Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic
Engine Size
I have an 85 C1500 that I had an axle flip done on and I ls swapped it this winter and my dyno tuner wanted me to have my driveline angles verified before he does wot runs. So I took it to a shop today and they said my angles were off 7 degrees and that my rear diff needs to come down and my trans needs to go up. I thought the axle flip kit had adjustments built into it automatically to keep it in place? Also, what do I need to bring my rear diff down? I used the Switch Suspension Squarebody Syndicate kit.

Attachments

• 20220405_125500.jpg
    20220405_125500.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 51

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
I used a Switch rear kit on mine and still needed to come down a couple degrees. I think they just get close on those angles and hope it works. Shimming the trans up a little shouldn't be too big a deal.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
ORD sells pinion angle shims, and I'm sure other places. They bolt to your leaf pack, like the rest of the springs and change your pinion angle as they have an angle cut. I think spec is within 3 degrees.
I wouldn't want to touch the trans if I didn't have to.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
first do you feel any vibration in high speed? then angle got to be parallele but equal so if you have 6 up at the diff and 6 down on the trans that will be ok. i shim a bit my trans on mine and now running 4 link in rear i ajust it to fit ;)

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Without knowing anything about you lowering kit, if it has a lowering block they are usually tapered to adjust pinion angle. If its backwards it would throw the angle way out. You may need to find an axle shim or cut the perches off & weld on new ones set to the proper angle.

Ideally your trans tail shaft and pinion should be parallel, if the output shaft is 3 degrees down then the pinion flange/yoke should 3 degrees up. Some add a degree in at the pinion for axle wrap under acceleration.

For the trans mount adjustment your carb mounting location on the intake manifold should be level or close to it.

You might need compromise a little between driveline angle and carb angle unless you are able to fab stuff to make it perfect.

Get a cheap magnetic angle finder & start making adjustments. Since I have a lift and different trans & TC I had to make a spacer for the trans mount and use a few 1/4" thick washers to get it close.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chuchito