Door Panel Advice Needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Good Morning,

I had a bubble start to show up on the top of the door panel about a month ago. The bubble has since popped and is spreading. Here is a picture of my door panel and the bad spot.

You must be registered for see images attach

My first question is if anybody has had any success repairing something like this? I watched a video of somebody making a repair on a newer panel using CA glue, but that covering material looked thicker. I don't know that this material would hold up to any sanding and leveling.

My next questions are if I can't repair it. I believe the panels look like these:
USA1 Panel. Does that seem right? Does anybody know if the piece with the fabric can be removed. My current ones match my seat so I would like to keep them if I can. Also, is this a common problem. I don't want to pay a lot of money or a set of panels an have the same issue again.

Thank you for any insight you can offer!
John

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Good Morning,

I had a bubble start to show up on the top of the door panel about a month ago. The bubble has since popped and is spreading. Here is a picture of my door panel and the bad spot.

My first question is if anybody has had any success repairing something like this? I watched a video of somebody making a repair on a newer panel using CA glue, but that covering material looked thicker. I don't know that this material would hold up to any sanding and leveling.

My next questions are if I can't repair it. I believe the panels look like these:
USA1 Panel. Does that seem right? Does anybody know if the piece with the fabric can be removed. My current ones match my seat so I would like to keep them if I can. Also, is this a common problem. I don't want to pay a lot of money or a set of panels an have the same issue again.

Thank you for any insight you can offer!
John
Is your door relief vent and drains in good shape? ive never seen or heard of that before but I asked about the vent/openings just in case somehow air pressure from the road and moving was somehow not moving normally

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Assuming you did not buy the truck brand new, the door panel was likely reconditioned by a previous owner. What you are seeing is the vinyl paint applied over the original plastic door panel is pealing off.

The fabric looks custom. Show a picture of the seat. Someone will know if is original or custom replacement.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Is your door relief vent and drains in good shape? ive never seen or heard of that before but I asked about the vent/openings just in case somehow air pressure from the road and moving was somehow not moving normally
I believe the vent and drains are in good shape, but I haven't specifically looked. I should probably have mentioned that I took the panel off to replace the window motor about a month before the blister showed up.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
Assuming you did not buy the truck brand new, the door panel was likely reconditioned by a previous owner. What you are seeing is the vinyl paint applied over the original plastic door panel is pealing off.

The fabric looks custom. Show a picture of the seat. Someone will know if is original or custom replacement.
Here is a picture of my truck's
seat.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Here is a picture of my truck's
seat.
That is a beautiful interior! I believe that is a custom reupholstered seat. The door inserts should be removable, as they are also probably custom.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
That is a beautiful interior! I believe that is a custom reupholstered seat. The door inserts should be removable, as they are also probably custom.
Thank you! I really hope I can find somebody who can repair the door panel. Guess time will tell...

Dave Arends

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Looks like someone’s rebuild/painted panels is just peeling. That is a high ware spot. All the trim, strap, insert and armrest will come off and can be repainted.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I believe the vent and drains are in good shape, but I haven't specifically looked. I should probably have mentioned that I took the panel off to replace the window motor about a month before the blister showed up.
It has/had absolutely nothing to do with vents or drains or anything even remotely related to that.
Yes the inserts come off, that's how they got recovered in the red fabric.
The bubble you see is either paint, plasti dip or vinyl wrap (or similar type products) over the old door panels.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
It has/had absolutely nothing to do with vents or drains or anything even remotely related to that.
Yes the inserts come off, that's how they got recovered in the red fabric.
The bubble you see is either paint, plasti dip or vinyl wrap (or similar type products) over the old door panels.
This^^^

Disassemble & refinish them, or replace them with aftermarket copies and put your trim on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike