door lock issue - 86 burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lucastos

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
I have a door lock question.. the front 2 door lock switches when pressed down lock all 4 door correctly, but neither of them unlock any of the switches when presses up. This makes me think all 4 actuators can't all be broken, since they work on the lock but not unlock direction. Also both switches work on the lock side but not unlock side.

What other causes might allow both switches to function only on the down lock, and all actuators function only on the lock but not unlock?

Clear as mud, appreciate any advice in advance.

Luke.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Door lock relay may not be moving to the unlock position. GM part no. 14056552. Shown as item 15 below:

You must be registered for see images attach

Looks like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

These are $99 at the dealer. But here's an NOS GM part - pictured above - for $48 on ebay (buy now):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-77-78-7...rue&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_90wt_1138

Don't get me wrong - I don't know if that's the problem, just a possibility. It just seems unlikely that all 4 lock motors would go at the same time. Are the connections at the relay clean and tight? Do the locks move freely to unlock position when operated manually - i.e. by oulling up on the lock buttons?

Last edited:

VAL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
VAL
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 SILVERADO
Engine Size
When I first got my truck, it did the same thing. I cleaned the terminals, replaced the switches and everything was fine after that.

lucastos

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
All switches manually move well , they just dont respond on unlock, just lock. I will try the relay... thanks for the tip.

lucastos

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
All switches manually move well , they just dont respond on unlock, just lock. I will try the relay... thanks for the tip.

How would I access the relay?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
It's underneath the dash - on a bracket above and to the left of the driveshaft hump.

Use the images I posted above to help locate it. They are accurate representations of the location and physical appearance.

To positively identify it, have someone operate the locks while you listen/feel for a relay that is responding to the switch.

lucastos

Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
350 5.7 V8
I think I found it, looks like I will have to remove some lower dash pieces just to be able to remove the relay.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris