Do these trucks just vibrate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I have been on a quest for my 4x4 to ride smoothly. I swear I take one step forward and two steps back.

I got the tires balance twice, fixed the driveshaft vibration, new brakes, fresh grease and oil in the axles.

Still has a small driveline vibration in the rear half of the truck. Maybe its just that is normal? Drives me crazy! I want no vibrations!

Is this just normal?

8T6K5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
L98 350 TPI
Truck lifted? Check driveline angle...

...then check your u-bolts, leaf spring mounts and shocks...to include the upper rear shock mounts.

Ball joints, and tie rod ends too....

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
new ball joints, new tires, new wheels, new rear leaf springs and new shocks on all four corners. No lift. New u-joints in the driveshaft a month ago.

Its a slight vibration, but its there. Feel it in the seat, so that tells me its in the rear driveline.

Should I put grease on the slip joint shaft? that felt a tiny bit loose before.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I had a rear axle failing at the bearing race and it vibrated the entire truck. New axle and bearing.... smooth again.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Should I put grease on the slip joint shaft? that felt a tiny bit loose before.
Grease dat slip yoke.
if it is loose, it could be the source of Your vibration too.

RAMROD1982

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
curious to know what the source is, I dropped my driveshaft the other day so I got it retubed, new yolks, ujoints and balance but I still feel vibration pretty bad. im wonder if I messed up something else while towing it after the driveshaft failed.

RAMROD1982

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
oh and I feel it the most in the gas pedal and the gear shift, its a manual. faster I go the worse it is

jux

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Z
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Mine felt like that when it had a misfire in a cylinder. It shook the rear end as well. Also, could it be clutch related? Wet clutch or something?

RAMROD1982

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
looks like I cracked my transfer case. how do I find out what model it is? all I know is it's a 3 speed manual+granny gear.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
looks like I cracked my transfer case. how do I find out what model it is? all I know is it's a 3 speed manual+granny gear.

There should be a tag on the T-Case giving the model and S/N.
If it has a one stick shifter and on the T-Case a cross link between the shifter rails, it could be a NP-205.

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have been on a quest for my 4x4 to ride smoothly. I swear I take one step forward and two steps back.

I got the tires balance twice, fixed the driveshaft vibration, new brakes, fresh grease and oil in the axles.

Still has a small driveline vibration in the rear half of the truck. Maybe its just that is normal? Drives me crazy! I want no vibrations!

Is this just normal?
You could have a bad tranny or engine mount. Take a pry bar and check for movement of tranny. Pinion angle and tranny output shaft need to be parallel with each other also.

Mattchu60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I think the mounts are probably shot just from it being a 25 year old truck. I'll just deal with the little vibration for now.

I should note - when I use 4x4 and go down the highway around 55 mph, the front drive shaft from the t-case to the axle really vibrates! I assume its because the shaft is worn where it slides back and forth - its really easy to wiggle it - not tight. I thought about getting a whole new assembly with new u-joints from LMC to cure it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar