different front seats in a suburban?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Those do indeed appear to be FlexSteel seats IMO. Just that the fabric used is a close match to the OEM interior to match the OEM back seat.

Brian Bonehill

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Seems this is the #1 issue for us Burb guys. I am in the same boat; I hate my original captain chairs; I have already put in a late model console and would love a late model bucket but they all mount WAY too high.

I have scoured looking for answers and none seem to fit. I guess the key is you have to find flat sliders on the bottom that you can mount flat stock across to allow for you to reach the mounting holes. So I guess the search is for flat bottom seats.

FYI. I saw that seats out of an equinox are pretty good looking and have flat rails. That might be a good start.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Anyone? What about grey cloth GMT400 seats? They look more comfortable and they kinda match the rear seats

I've wondered that myself. Never tried it though because the stock seats are plenty comfy for me.

Well, 6+ years later, I've nearly convinced myself to give a go at this particular swap. Funny this thread was brought back up.

Except I won't be replacing factory buckets. I'll be replacing the original bench in my '78 with buckets from a '94 Suburban. Not so much for comfort, but because I could use the functionality of the bucket seats. I haven't fully decided to ditch the bench though.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Funny, I absolutely LOVE the captain's chairs in my 'Burb. Only problem I'm having is that I need to reupholster them (at least the driver's seat) but I can't find anyone that sells a slip for them. Only for pickups and K5s. The suburban seats are not to be found, looks like it's a custom upholstery shop type thing, but I want it to look 100% original so I'm not sure where to get the fabric. My mother in law is a professional seamstress, and my wife is pretty good with a sewing machine too, i'm sure one of them could do it, but IDK what to even to about a template

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Funny, I absolutely LOVE the captain's chairs in my 'Burb. Only problem I'm having is that I need to reupholster them (at least the driver's seat) but I can't find anyone that sells a slip for them. Only for pickups and K5s. The suburban seats are not to be found, looks like it's a custom upholstery shop type thing, but I want it to look 100% original so I'm not sure where to get the fabric. My mother in law is a professional seamstress, and my wife is pretty good with a sewing machine too, i'm sure one of them could do it, but IDK what to even to about a template

Do you want custom fit slip covers or actual new upholstery?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Do you want custom fit slip covers or actual new upholstery?
I am actually looking for new upholstery, but want it to be stock. I would be removing the old torn up fabric completely and replacing the foam. I just want to recover the seats in the original fabric they came in. The same type of kit you can get from LMC or JCWhitney or whatever for the Blazer buckets/ I just haven't found any for the Suburban seats

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I am actually looking for new upholstery, but want it to be stock. I would be removing the old torn up fabric completely and replacing the foam. I just want to recover the seats in the original fabric they came in. The same type of kit you can get from LMC or JCWhitney or whatever for the Blazer buckets/ I just haven't found any for the Suburban seats

Last I knew, the original fabric is rather scarce. SMS Auto Fabrics may still have some. The '88 Burb I bought recently has had the front buckets recovered and it's very very similar to original. I don't know who did it or how long ago, but it's a good sign that very similar materials are still available.

SubDominant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
5.7L
Seems this is the #1 issue for us Burb guys. I am in the same boat; I hate my original captain chairs; I have already put in a late model console and would love a late model bucket but they all mount WAY too high.

I have scoured looking for answers and none seem to fit. I guess the key is you have to find flat sliders on the bottom that you can mount flat stock across to allow for you to reach the mounting holes. So I guess the search is for flat bottom seats.

FYI. I saw that seats out of an equinox are pretty good looking and have flat rails. That might be a good start.

I wonder if GM800 seats would be a better base to start from. I was going to do my swap with them but could not get them out of the donor because the owner hacked up the wiring harness and I could not reach the bolts (This was out of a 2001 Tahoe). That is why I went to the Cadillac seats. Not to high at all. But then again, I am only 5' 9" tall and have a short torso. By the way, I was able to swap in the 2nd row out of the Tahoe into my Burb! Folds down and everything.

fast68chevy

I am the original fast68chevy
Reaction score
First Name
RANDY
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
ffront seats from a early 2000s chrysler dodge mini van are pretty nice fit style for the square body pickups i have found out,., with my 75 C20 anyways..
just use a pair/set of stock factory square body '70s(or whichever years group you have) mounting tracks/brackets.... just weld them onto the seat frames, oor just drill holes and bolt the stock factory truck brackets tracks to the seats that youre swapping into the truck..

this IS how you do this...
with ANY seats you want to swap in...

easy... about 20 mins of time is all needed...

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
these 2006 yukon heated 12 way adjustable seats fit perfecly (after some floor mods) in my v2500 suburban.even has built in seat belts sooo worth the work just saying

TheFishBox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
v30
Engine Size
6.0 ls
What were the floor mods?

R Carnella

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V2500
Engine Size
What were the floor mods?
I channeled the floor along seat rails on both sides. Took a weekend to do the mod but now i enjoy them everyday. sorry i didn't take pics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128