Diesel to TBI swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tilecrew

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
87 crew
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
I bought an 84 K10 that was previously a 6.2 but the entire drive train has been removed. I have a complete drive train from a 92 TBI to put in it. 350/700R4/241. I still have access to the 92 for any parts I'll need for the swap. Also it looks like rather than unhooking most wires the PO just cut them.
So that being said where to start? Will the harness out of the 92 fit? Or would a painless be better? Inside the cab looks intact so would only need the engine harness.
Also what other issues will I run into? Fuel pump, tanks, lines, o2 sensors are a few I've seen mentioned around here. Anything I've missed?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
The 92' harness can be modified to work in your truck. I haven't had my hands on a 92 harness personally, so I can't tell what exactly is needed to make it work, but on my 84' that I TBI converted, I built a small fuse block to provide ignition 12v+ and battery 12v+ to the ECM. For tanks, you can buy new or used (though new are relatively cheap) 87' R10 pickup tanks, senders, and fuel pumps. These are baffled and the senders accept fuel pumps since 87' was fuel injected.

Tilecrew

Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
87 crew
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
So where did you go to find out what wires need to stay and what can be removed? I've got the harness out of the '92 and I'm ready to start on it. One of my buddies has an '84 with a TBI in it and I looked at his and the main thing I saw was they just cut the pigtails of the trucks exsisting harness and off the TBI harness and spliced them there according to color and plugged it in to the fuse block. His TBI is out of an 89 but they should be basically the same. I'm sure there more to it but am I on the right path here?

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
So where did you go to find out what wires need to stay and what can be removed? I've got the harness out of the '92 and I'm ready to start on it. One of my buddies has an '84 with a TBI in it and I looked at his and the main thing I saw was they just cut the pigtails of the trucks exsisting harness and off the TBI harness and spliced them there according to color and plugged it in to the fuse block. His TBI is out of an 89 but they should be basically the same. I'm sure there more to it but am I on the right path here?

I had the service manual for the year of truck my TBI engine came out of, so I used that to know what was what on the harness. Most of it is stand alone, and you just have to tie a few things into your trucks harness. Most of those, I just traced down using my multimeter (12v+ igntion hot). You will need a VSS to feed the ECM. Squarebodies with cruise or TBI had an optical one on the speedo head. If you have the cruise version, you can just get one from a TBI square from 87-89 that has feeds for cruise and ECM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmeade