Complete Vortec Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Hello yall. Well its time. Tax money is coming and I have the chance to talk a guy out of a vortec engine. Its in a Tahoe that was wrecked and supposedly I can hear it run and everything before its pulled. Im planning on gettin it and swappin in the COMPLETE engine. When I offer to buy this thing Im trying to get the engine, PCM, wiring harness, and possibly the fuel pump assembly. Does anybody know if this assembly will fit in my 87's tank? Would it be easier to just get an inline pump with enough PSI for the fuel injection? What about fuel lines? Im thinkin braided line with AN fittings? Will I have to have a return line for this to work properly? I know swapping in the motor and wiring will be the easiest part (for me). My problem is goin to be with the fuel system. Any ideas or anything will help. Thanks guys. :grd:

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
i am about to do the same thing except i have a painless harness
i have a build thread started its in the under construction its 90 crew cab

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
Hello yall. Well its time. Tax money is coming and I have the chance to talk a guy out of a vortec engine. Its in a Tahoe that was wrecked and supposedly I can hear it run and everything before its pulled. Im planning on gettin it and swappin in the COMPLETE engine. When I offer to buy this thing Im trying to get the engine, PCM, wiring harness, and possibly the fuel pump assembly. Does anybody know if this assembly will fit in my 87's tank? Would it be easier to just get an inline pump with enough PSI for the fuel injection? What about fuel lines? Im thinkin braided line with AN fittings? Will I have to have a return line for this to work properly? I know swapping in the motor and wiring will be the easiest part (for me). My problem is goin to be with the fuel system. Any ideas or anything will help. Thanks guys. :grd:

yes the fuel pump will go in your 87 tank just fine with the 87 sending unit of course. You could get an inline pump capable of enought pressure but IMO i would rather have the tank be able to keep the pump cool.

What about transmission what you doing there

Edit" make sure you dont pay to much for it though, you can easilly find complete vehichles that are wrecked or bad transmissions for 500-800 bucks

benjaminearle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 LWB Fleetside
Engine Size
'97 L31 Vortec 5700
Semi-complete Vortec swap

post moved to another thread