Chevrolet c20 1977 help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dxtrmrrs

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Hey,
I have a 1977 Chevrolet c20 3/4 ton pickup. I got it last summer, for really cheap. it had been in an accident so there was some damage (only cosmetic). Anyways, I'm pretty new to owning one of these. Wanting to know why it will start up and crank just fine, but unless I sit and pump some gas for a little bit, the motor will die on me. once it gets running the problem is gone, its just starting it after it sits for awhile. I have to start it and hit the gas repeatedly so it doesn't die. Do I need to let it warm up for a while? What can I do to help it get started and keep running on the first try? I replaced the starter a while ago, b/c the flywheel was getting torn up and grinding on the trans. I put in thinner oil in it, in the hopes that it would help with cold starts, but the problem keeps occurring. any ideas or help on what I can do to get it to start and run smoother? Its a beat up old thing but its my baby, wanna keep it running and taken care of.

-Thanks

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thoroughly clean the carb;make sure choke is working as it should;adjust fast idle.
OH Yeah,welcome to the forum,are You going to stick around?

dxtrmrrs

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Cleaned the carb out real well the other day. it helped the starting for a while but im still having the same problem, not sure how to fix it. thanks for the ideas though ill take a look at the choke.
Also, Ill be staying around a while yeah. Im not getting rid of my truck anytime soon, and its nice having a place to log in to find out info/get help

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06