Can "carburetor" and "throttle response" be in the same sentence?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapdin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado K30, Scottsdale K20, Silverado C10, Silverado V10, Silverado V20
Engine Size
400ci, 350ci, 350ci, TBI 350ci, TBI 350ci
Just did a trouble shooting session on My 79.Dumped in five gallons of fuel,cranked and cranked,no fuel.
Pulled off the inlet fuel line to the pump,removed the output line,attached fuel pressure/vacuum guage.nope,nadda,nothing,ZIP.
Seems it is now time to replace the fuel pump.OH well,I have an old electric unit setting here,I`ll hook it up.get it into the garage,swap them front diffs. and go TBI instead of messing wit that old system.:emotions133::shocked:

im feelin ya, and with captin TBI (aka. Jim) it just seems the way to go.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Just did a trouble shooting session on My 79.Dumped in five gallons of fuel,cranked and cranked,no fuel.
Pulled off the inlet fuel line to the pump,removed the output line,attached fuel pressure/vacuum guage.nope,nadda,nothing,ZIP.
Seems it is now time to replace the fuel pump.OH well,I have an old electric unit setting here,I`ll hook it up.get it into the garage,swap them front diffs. and go TBI instead of messing wit that old system.:emotions133::shocked:

On my old 64 GMC, I had an inline Electric pump that was hooked up to a toggle switch. Manual pump worked until I raced then it would tend to run out of fuel at times or vapor lock and couldn't get enough fuel through to start back up afterwards when the motor was good and hot. So I'd hit the switch to boost the manual pump. Never left the electric on since I didn't want all the pressure on the needle and seat. It was a low pressure pump, I'm sure i could have. But, it was sure nice to have when I was 80 miles from home and the Fuel pump took a dump on me. I thought it was a clogged fuel filter. No, ended up being the fuel pump. Drove the rest of the way home with the E pump on.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
On my old 64 GMC, I had an inline Electric pump that was hooked up to a toggle switch. Manual pump worked until I raced then it would tend to run out of fuel at times or vapor lock and couldn't get enough fuel through to start back up afterwards when the motor was good and hot. So I'd hit the switch to boost the manual pump. Never left the electric on since I didn't want all the pressure on the needle and seat. It was a low pressure pump, I'm sure i could have. But, it was sure nice to have when I was 80 miles from home and the Fuel pump took a dump on me. I thought it was a clogged fuel filter. No, ended up being the fuel pump. Drove the rest of the way home with the E pump on.

It is a nice thing when there`s a backup already in place.LOL
SU electric fuel pumps with points/solenoid actuator,the points sometimes sticks,some of the MG guys install an extra SU pump just for such an ocassion.LOL
I`ll be shoving the O`l beast into the garage tomorrow,swapping out them front diffs. to make some room then tackling one or the other,fuel pump or TBI,probably just as well get going on the TBI huh,seein as how I got all the equipment settin here to do just that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06