Best method for removing rattle can paint on top of factory paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I put a generous coat of citristrip on it and attacked with the pressure washer. It's not pretty by any means (the black and gray blotches are the underlying primer).I honestly think its a step above what it was before.
You must be registered for see images attach

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I put a generous coat of citristrip on it and attacked with the pressure washer. It's not pretty by any means (the black and gray blotches are the underlying primer).I honestly think its a step above what it was before.
You must be registered for see images attach

Way better!
And don’t worry about the missing paint. It is original and didn’t stick well 35 years ago.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Way better!
And don’t worry about the missing paint. It is original and didn’t stick well 35 years ago.
It looks like the rattle can paint was actually an attempt by a previous owner to hide the paint that was already missing. Unlike him though, I prefer the scars of Mother nature and Father time over Bubba's sad attempt to hide it.

I will eventually repaint the truck. For now I'll just prep the raw metal and surface rust places. It looks like replacing the bodyside molding, trim and weatherstripping is going to cost as much the paint for the truck lol.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It looks like the rattle can paint was actually an attempt by a previous owner to hide the paint that was already missing. Unlike him though, I prefer the scars of Mother nature and Father time over Bubba's sad attempt to hide it.

I will eventually repaint the truck. For now I'll just prep the raw metal and surface rust places. It looks like replacing the bodyside molding, trim and weatherstripping is going to cost as much the paint for the truck lol.
I'd like to say you're right, but paint prices, especially in the last 12-18mo will be WAY more than all the trim, pinstripes, moldings and weather-stripping, unfortunately.
Prices on all the trim and gaskets/weatherstripping hasn't gone up much of at all, really. It's low demand, vehicle specific stuff.
I've got about $500 all in, into every piece of trim molding and pinstriping on the truck, except door seals and hood to cowl seal. Both of those were like new.

Paint, whole truck, 2 stage, quality. A little over $1k all in, enough for whole truck, every surface save for inside of cab (which I have enough for too). That was fall 2020 super sale price. Today, same mfg and paints, about $2k. Go to a paint store and get top of the line brand and top line of their paint, you'll be in for probably $3k.
Single stage, could cut that down a fair bit, but unfortunately decent paint will run you way more than the trim and weather-stripping.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I'd like to say you're right, but paint prices, especially in the last 12-18mo will be WAY more than all the trim, pinstripes, moldings and weather-stripping, unfortunately.
Prices on all the trim and gaskets/weatherstripping hasn't gone up much of at all, really. It's low demand, vehicle specific stuff.
I've got about $500 all in, into every piece of trim molding and pinstriping on the truck, except door seals and hood to cowl seal. Both of those were like new.

Paint, whole truck, 2 stage, quality. A little over $1k all in, enough for whole truck, every surface save for inside of cab (which I have enough for too). That was fall 2020 super sale price. Today, same mfg and paints, about $2k. Go to a paint store and get top of the line brand and top line of their paint, you'll be in for probably $3k.
Single stage, could cut that down a fair bit, but unfortunately decent paint will run you way more than the trim and weather-stripping.
Ouch, didn't realize paint spiked in price so much. What's a good source for reasonably priced OEM colors?

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ouch, didn't realize paint spiked in price so much. What's a good source for reasonably priced OEM colors?

I sound like a broken record but have nothing but good to say about Tamco products. Not the absolute cheapest $ wise, but literally the same top line products from the big names for waaay less.
Only downside and maybe it’s changed, is if you have a metallic, they won’t do it single stage. Idk why.
But do a quick check from a paint store for a certain color coat (prices also vary by color. Red being most expensive) in their jobber/homeowner line and also their top line. Example since I’m sort of familiar with PPG, price out their Omni and Delton lines and compare to Tamco OE color prices.
I think you’ll be pleased.
Service wise, they are stellar! Had great service buying all my stuff. But even better, I didn’t use the basecoat for over a year after purchasing. (OE color code). Opened the can first time and it was the wrong shade. Not even close. Stevie wonder could have seen the difference.
They replaced that gallon of paint no questions asked, no arguing that maybe I gave them the wrong code or was blind or my vehicle was not the color it should be. None of that. Only asked that I send a sample piece to match to and it was a done deal. And in the end thanked me for being understanding and providing them an accurate piece to update their file with and apologized for the inconvenience.
And the price had gone up over $100 from what I paid, when they replaced it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84