anyone know anything about parts washers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My dad has had this 20 gallon parts washer for years, but it never worked. I think it was given to him and after he passed away in May it was just one of the many things that made its way to my garage. Yesterday I took it out and pressure washed it, it had been used extensively back in the day somewhere, had about an inch of crap in it. Underneath on the shelf looks like a homemade steel box design to hold the solvent.

What I'm wondering is basically what type of pump to buy. I'm assuming it gets 120 volts, I'm also assuming the pump sit in the tank below and just basically cycles to the top. It's got some directions about closing the cover when agitating and do not agitate excessively, not sure what that's all about. And what type of solvent to use? Do I just fill the damn thing up with purple power or mean green, or is there something more potent that you were supposed to use? I literally have never had one but I'd like to get it running. Thanks for any help in advance

You must be registered for see images attach

91gmcsub

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
My father had something similar to that and he just used strait kerosene. I remember him handing me these gunked up greasy parts and after a little scrubbing they'd look brand new. As far as what kind of pump to use, I don't know, his was just a tub with a basket

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
old school stuff http://www.grainger.com/product/BLASTER-Parts-Washer-Solvent-16W543?s_pp=false&picUrl=//static.grainger.com/rp/s/is/image/Grainger/16W543_AW01?$smthumb$ we use to use a mineral spirit stuff we bought cheap from a petroleum supply place,get it out of a gas pump,kerosene when we couldn't get that.i now use the water base stuff,easier on the skin,lol

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
That's a Harbor Freight parts washer, item 60769 and sells for around $100.. Yours was modified to keep the cleaning solvent in a separate tank. The pumps in those were designed for water-based cleaners and if you read the reviews on it people say the pumps fail pretty often. If you just want to get it going you can look at the Black Bull pwp20 pump. It goes for around $25 and Home Depot sells them or online. The trick is to mount the pump high in the solution away from the heavy sediment that settles in the bottom of the tank. A lot of guys modify their washers with a remote filter adapter and an automotive style oil filter. That keeps the fluid clean and the pump healthy.

I've never had much luck with the water-based cleaning agents, they either don't work at all or they're so harsh they attack the aluminum the tank is made out of. You would have to pay more for a pump that can handle petroleum based solvents but they work much better. I'm running mineral spirits in mine and have one of those brushes that shoots the solvent out of the bristles. The fumes are no treat but parts come out clean in no time.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I heard the best concoction was a mix of kerosene, diesel and varsol

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Can't get Varsol anymore, Exxon quit making it due to tighter EPA restrictions and replaced it with what they call Exxsol D compounds which supposedly don't kill as many brain cells. In the retail world they are marketed as low-odor mineral spirits, check the paint department of your local hardware store.

silverscottsk10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I use purple power, less volatile and easy to acquire and cheaper

kleedus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Truck Year
1960 threw 91
Truck Model
c10 to k30
Engine Size
350 threw 454
I use a solvent called Stoddard solvent works well I get it from a local supply place here I have no idea where it would be available in your area.

talk to mechanic shops in your area and ask them what they use and where to get it

quaddriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy R2500
Engine Size
The big one
I personally use kero. Until it gets quite black and vile and then I give it to contractor friends who burn out stumps.

a caveat for the water based stuff: RTFL (read the ... label) - many of those are corrosive to aluminum and if you do a lot of motorcycle or ATV parts...wellllllll (not to mention most intakes today, a lot of gm 660 heads, boat parts etc) it can turn out bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35