Aftermarket fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Hold on.. You have a electric fuel pump on a 73? I think you REALLLLY need to explain your entire fuel system to us. Electric fuel pumps need a regulator as well as a return line usually.

If your truck is dying it could be vapor lock.

We were having a real problem getting fuel into the motor even with a new mech fuel pump and new lines. So we put in a nice Carter elec fuel pump and a bad ass filter. It is my understanding that you only need a regulator if you're running large horsepower. It may help it, but it's not needed.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
We were having a real problem getting fuel into the motor even with a new mech fuel pump and new lines. So we put in a nice Carter elec fuel pump and a bad ass filter. It is my understanding that you only need a regulator if you're running large horsepower. It may help it, but it's not needed.

Regulators are needed NOT because of HP but because of carbs or throttle bodies requiring a specific amount of pressure. For example Quadrajets and Edelbrock do good with 5-6 PSI and anything more and you can cause over flooding.

So you install a regulator so excess fuel is passed back to a fuel tank and not into the carb or worse into the engine and polluting your oil.

Right now you could be over fueling your carb causing lots of issues.

Also if a mechanical fuel pump is NOT working properly then there are issues at hand that need fixing.. like

a) a bad fuel pump
b) fuel pump rod
c) camshaft
d) combination of b+c
e) combination of all the above.

Also lets not forget that we are dealing with 40 year old fuel hose which modern ethanol will turn to goo and rot away so fast so you have that to deal with as well.

1low4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah....seems instead of fixing the original problem of fuel delivery y'all installed an electric pump with ni regulator...and now that doesn't even work so you wanna try a different gas tank.

If it were me, for what it's worth, I'd stick a mechanical pump back on it and diagnose the original problem first

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Yeah....seems instead of fixing the original problem of fuel delivery y'all installed an electric pump with ni regulator...and now that doesn't even work so you wanna try a different gas tank.

If it were me, for what it's worth, I'd stick a mechanical pump back on it and diagnose the original problem first

2x
A different tank proably won't solve the problem.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
What carb you running?

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Regulators are needed NOT because of HP but because of carbs or throttle bodies requiring a specific amount of pressure. For example Quadrajets and Edelbrock do good with 5-6 PSI and anything more and you can cause over flooding.

So you install a regulator so excess fuel is passed back to a fuel tank and not into the carb or worse into the engine and polluting your oil.

Right now you could be over fueling your carb causing lots of issues.

Also if a mechanical fuel pump is NOT working properly then there are issues at hand that need fixing.. like

a) a bad fuel pump
b) fuel pump rod
c) camshaft
d) combination of b+c
e) combination of all the above.

Also lets not forget that we are dealing with 40 year old fuel hose which modern ethanol will turn to goo and rot away so fast so you have that to deal with as well.

Okay, so what regulator should I put in and where exactly does it go? I'll get one today. I need to get this sorted quickly. Thanks for the help guys.

Brandon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx