AC converson on 1978 k20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cscammon

Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Ok this is what i want to do. Im going to take a serpentine belt set up from a 1990 suburban and use a later model type of compressor. I know the power steering lines will have to be made, the alternator will have to be wired, the water pump has to be changed, and i know im going to have to make the lines for the ac. Am i missing anything? Have any of you done this before?

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
That would be using r4 compressor. Power steering lines fit, ac hoses available from napa for 90 suburban with no rear ac. Unless you are planing to modifying 90 brackets for late 90's style sanden compressor. I believe all brackets and compressor from 98 v6 trucks would transfer over. I did 90 suburban brackets on my old 85 a while back.

cscammon

Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Ok im about half way. Ive got the serpentine set up on now. I bought most things i needed for a 1990 blazer. The reason being the suburban kept throwing the parts guy because of the rear air. Most things are bolting right up except for the power steering hose. Had to cut off the gearbox end and flare it. Right now im trying to get the condenser fitted. The orginal condenser had lines through the drivers side which is where the compressor used to be. Since im going to a later model setup i had to use a condenser from and 81 and up truck. That should allow me to use a/c hoses from the 1990 blazer im basing everything from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajiuo666