85K5 5.3 future

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andrew mh

Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
So I'm going to get a 5.3 LS motor and I'm trying to figure out everything I need. I'm unsure of the rear end and gears I have. I want a reliable yet powerful setup. It's a 4X4 with what I believe is a camaro 305 in it. What would be the best trans if I'm doing this swap? Keep it old with a TH 350 or TH400? Or go advanced with a 4L60 or 4L80? Only looking for a reliable Blazer, nothing fast as hell.

Edhard_Stark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm going to start my LS swap next month. I'll be keeping my TH350 to be cost effective and reliable. I'm also installing lockers in the diffs, and I think I'll be using 3.42's, maybe 3.73's. I have a TH350 to rebuild on the side that I'll be converting to a lockup style. My hope is to be around 2300rpm~ at 65mph with the lockup and 33inch tires. A little high for a cruising rpm, but if I lift the truck and go 35's, it'll be near perfect rpm wise. I'd love an overdrive trans, but to not have it be as reliable or cost effective as my current setup is a gamble I'm not willing to take.

Captain

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
Newly

Doing my swap as we speak, my burb has 488 an with 39 double wides an 700r4 the speedo is dead on . Cruises down the road nicely..
I am only on 3rd day of swap an motor is in all wired, exhaust hooked up , my only problem was fuel tank had a hole in it an fuel lines didn't look good.
All new fuel lines are run all #6 lines with in line cleanable filter. Tank and sending unit won't be here till Thursday . Then look out

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
So I'm going to get a 5.3 LS motor and I'm trying to figure out everything I need. I'm unsure of the rear end and gears I have. I want a reliable yet powerful setup. It's a 4X4 with what I believe is a camaro 305 in it. What would be the best trans if I'm doing this swap? Keep it old with a TH 350 or TH400? Or go advanced with a 4L60 or 4L80? Only looking for a reliable Blazer, nothing fast as hell.

The 4L80 is the best choice for a transmission. Other choices will do ok, but stay away from pre 88' 700R4s!

Any electronic transmission requires a TPS(Throttle Position Sensor) And an electronic transmission controller (ETC) As well most controllers require a VSS speed signal. This becomes the biggest issue as you will need a Speedo that works off VSS or some kinda VSS to mechanical conversion unit to retain the mechanical speedo.

If you have a 4wd, and your keeping your original transfer case, you will need to convert your mechanical signal to VSS. It may be possible to retain your mechanical speedo and create a VSS signal to feed your ECM and ETC.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Another option would be to go LS carbureted