454 or 383

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I agree with all the above but you just can't beat the wow factor of a big block under the hood.

You're right, and that's what you get is the visual WOW factor.

What I like better is someone seeing the small block, then lets go for a ride. Now there's the WOW factor. They weren't expecting a small block to perform like that. :waytogo: But then again, these days it's not all that impressive. Look at what some of the ricers do with 4 cyls.

84k20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for all the responses guys ill have a build thread together soon for this engine build as soon as I can get over to the machine shop to get this thing going.

I already started disassembling the engine so for people with more experience than me does this look to be a stock bore 350? I couldn't find any overbore number stamped into the pistons so that's why I figured it was a stock bore?
You must be registered for see images attach

My block is a 84 truck 3/4 ton 4 bolt main

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Thanks for all the responses guys ill have a build thread together soon for this engine build as soon as I can get over to the machine shop to get this thing going.

I already started disassembling the engine so for people with more experience than me does this look to be a stock bore 350? I couldn't find any overbore number stamped into the pistons so that's why I figured it was a stock bore?

My block is a 84 truck 3/4 ton 4 bolt main

80-85 350, could be either 2 or 4 bolt.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
Ive always wonder how long those little ricer four bangers hold up pushing all that boost and nitrous. If I had the cash this is what would be going into my project.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nal-cpslsa4l85e/overview/

In a prior life I was a Honda nut. There was a guy running a fully built H22 (2.2L 4-banger) pushing around 700whp. The engine held together well, but he kept roasting transmissions. I think he finally wound up getting straight cut gears for the whole thing.

On average, most boosted folks I knew were running around 300whp. Most stock blocks didn't last long (they broke ringlands on the stock cast pistons on a regular basis), but a decent set of forged pistons, and the motors held up pretty decent for a long while.

woodsrider250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350-Qjet
The same stuff has been applied to V8's. Better parts take more power, without saying. I help crew for an ~2500hp@40psi 427ci Small Block Ford, Twin 88mm, Outlaw 10.5 car. Dead reliable. We didn't build that engine in house...LOL. The crank alone costs more than the build in this thread.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In a prior life I was a Honda nut. There was a guy running a fully built H22 (2.2L 4-banger) pushing around 700whp. The engine held together well, but he kept roasting transmissions. I think he finally wound up getting straight cut gears for the whole thing.

On average, most boosted folks I knew were running around 300whp. Most stock blocks didn't last long (they broke ringlands on the stock cast pistons on a regular basis), but a decent set of forged pistons, and the motors held up pretty decent for a long while.

You always know a boosted or squeezed ricer around here. It's the one with blue smoke coming out the tailpipe. You're right, they don't get alot use out of those motors depending on how hard they squeeze or boost them.

towjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30's or V3500's
Engine Size
6.2, 454
I'm a big block guy myself. takes a pretty strong small block to run with a stock 454. I run a small block 355 in my offroad buggy because there a cheap build, lighter, and alot more expendable. I have one wrecker with a 355 in it to but it's real disapointing pulling a load. Of course I have around a dozen 454's for exrtas if I need one, even one in my yard truck

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm a big block guy myself. takes a pretty strong small block to run with a stock 454. I run a small block 355 in my offroad buggy because there a cheap build, lighter, and alot more expendable. I have one wrecker with a 355 in it to but it's real disapointing pulling a load. Of course I have around a dozen 454's for exrtas if I need one, even one in my yard truck

Total different story there Joe. You're talking about a vehicle that needs the bottom end torque and the top end doesn't really matter near as much. I know what my 84 454 in my C20 will do, and IMO, it woudln't take but a few minor mods to a small block to put a spankin on it.

Just for ***** and giggles, if you ever get the chance, go for a drive in a 383 Stroked 350. With the right bottom end cam you might find a 383 can hold it's own in a tow rig for towing an average car today. C30 and F350 and such will be a struggle but I have a feeling you'd be surprised.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
Looking at his 2k mark befor, i take back my comment.
Bare minimals yes mabey under 1500.
But i just priced out parts for me to build a 383 for my truck and im looking at around 4k.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26