3/4 front axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If you read the whole thing it turned into a Marvin thread. Started out with facts and experiences and degenerated into name calling and butthurt.
That’s how pretty much every thread ends up on there that’s why I usually only read the first couple

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
That’s how pretty much every thread ends up on there that’s why I usually only read the first couple

Good advice. I'll save my time in the future and cut my losses early.

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Yes but you have to have the 30 spline carrier as well.
the axle needs to be regeared for my tires so when i do that i can just locate the 30 spline parts. ill just use the knuckles off the dana 44 for flattops

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
the axle needs to be regeared for my tires so when i do that i can just locate the 30 spline parts. ill just use the knuckles off the dana 44 for flattops
The factory 30 carriers are weak. I have 2 of them. I used an Eaton Posi from a later model 8.6 rear. You will need conversion bearings. The part numbers are in my thread somewhere. They are readily available. Not a gov lock unless all your gonna do is street drive it.

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
The factory 30 carriers are weak. I have 2 of them. I used an Eaton Posi from a later model 8.6 rear. You will need conversion bearings. The part numbers are in my thread somewhere. They are readily available. Not a gov lock unless all your gonna do is street drive it.
no, i’m gonna probably going to do a spool or locker in the front

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
no, i’m gonna probably going to do a spool or locker in the front
I did a posi so in severe conditions the clutches will slip and not break anything. I have it set up pretty tight though. Both of them.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I did a posi so in severe conditions the clutches will slip and not break anything. I have it set up pretty tight though. Both of them.

So if I had a spare 10 bolt is it just a matter of buying 30 spline axle and carrier if I were looking to upgrade or is there something different about the older axle housings that won't allow allow for the 30 spline stuff to work (like inner tube clearance)?

Just curious. I was looking at buying a spare 10 bolt to do a complete rebuild of (ball joints and etc) then swap in 4.10's to match the rear 14 bolt I have. I figure if I am doing a complete rebuild no harm in getting a bigger axle if I am spending the money. I already have the caliper brackets for the front 10 8 lug conversion, just have not been at a point where I needed to buy anything else because I am still setting up the rear 14 bolt.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
So if I had a spare 10 bolt is it just a matter of buying 30 spline axle and carrier if I were looking to upgrade or is there something different about the older axle housings that won't allow allow for the 30 spline stuff to work (like inner tube clearance)?

Just curious. I was looking at buying a spare 10 bolt to do a complete rebuild of (ball joints and etc) then swap in 4.10's to match the rear 14 bolt I have. I figure if I am doing a complete rebuild no harm in getting a bigger axle if I am spending the money. I already have the caliper brackets for the front 10 8 lug conversion, just have not been at a point where I needed to buy anything else because I am still setting up the rear 14 bolt.
The bearing saddles are the same 28 and 30. But if your gonna get all that stuff might as well look for one from a later Blazer or Burb 90-91 get the complete rear and go from there

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The bearing saddles are the same 28 and 30. But if your gonna get all that stuff might as well look for one from a later Blazer or Burb 90-91 get the complete rear and go from there

I may go that route but the way pickings are now day's it's probably going to be a bare axle off CL of marketplace and chances are they'll be off a truck or something similar. I figure it won't be a huge deal given that I am not going to be doing hardcore of heavy offroading, or running a front locker. It is something to keep an eye out though for sure.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I may go that route but the way pickings are now day's it's probably going to be a bare axle off CL of marketplace and chances are they'll be off a truck or something similar. I figure it won't be a huge deal given that I am not going to be doing hardcore of heavy offroading, or running a front locker. It is something to keep an eye out though for sure.
I paid 150 for a 90 front axle and hauled an 89 Blazer chassis out of somewhere and got lucky and it had 30 spline axles. Having spares is nice lol

lukethedrifter

Reaction score
First Name
jonathan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I ran a welded 10 bolt under the front of a v8 jeep scrambler... It had 39.5/13.5 irocs on it. I had a d60 laying in the floor for whenever it broke. I was fairly careful with it, but it spent 2 solid years in the woods and on the river Bank... I it never broke and was still in good shape when I traded the jeep off. I

tdub209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
So from what every one is telling me and based on other experience is that if i use my truck for street and off-road on weekends. no rock bouncing or baja racing i’ll be okay with the 10 bolt lol. thank you for all the feedback and info everyone. ill just regear the 10 bolt and run it till it blows and in the mean time look for a dana 60 to have on the side. [emoji1360]

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
You should be fine so long as you don't start running tires bigger than 35's. Some will say 33's but I think if you are just doing things like 4wd for snow and ice or the occasional muddy crossing a properly geared 10 bolt will perform pretty well but things start breaking when you are using a locker constantly or rolling big rubber in terrain where you have to rely on climbing stuff with the tires first and then you jam a tire up. Also jumping things is bad on any axle but even a trussed up 10 bolt or dana 44 won't survive too many jumps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRed82k20