1982 shifter chage for 700R4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
1982 shifter change for 700R4?

Been doing some research while working on transplanting a TBI 350 from a 1991 into my 1982 GMC, along with the 700R4. Original transmission was a TH400.

What all do I need to / should change on the shifter, neutral safety switch for the computer and 4 speed? I've downloaded the Painless manual for inspiration (I'm hoping I can reuse the 1991 engine harness) and it mentions a neutral position indicator switch that is not to be mixed up with the neutral safety switch.

Any chance the brake switches for the lights and TCC disengage will fit onto the 1982 pedal?

Last edited:

scottybaccus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scotty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC R1500
Engine Size
Just pick up the brake light switch for an '82 with a 700r4. If you have any trouble, The switch you want was in any mid '80s Monte Carlo.

Throw away that Painless manual.

Call Howell Engine Developments or Fuel Injection Specialties. For $325 you can get a harness with no headaches. If your time is worth $50/hr, you'd need to convert your harness in under six hours to be ahead.

You can order the 4spd gear indicator for your instrument cluster from LMC. It takes 5 minutes to install.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
With the 700R4 VSS wiring it's $350. Could be worth looking into. FIS, no prices up front. Usually means high prices.

What about the park position switch for the ECM? Doesn't the shifter detent need changed? This piece.

LMC's website is sooo 90's, when companies tried to use the WWW *exactly* like a printed catalog, usually by putting up big images of their catalog pages. I dunno why anyone still does that. At least it's not as awful as sites that do the same with PDFs, and force you to have to download them by blocking opening them in the browser. (Companies in the machine tool industry are especially fond of that.)

Being self employed, time is a commodity I have plenty of. I make reproductions of plastic and glass (in plastic) lenses for classic cars. I also do some metal casting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag