WTH? SeaFoam $12 a Can?!?! NOT !!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
We didn't have a Car Quest here locally. The merger with Advance Auto is a plus so far, but it's still the same employees, which again, there are 2 females there that know their **** and the guys are idiots for real.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I have never used sea foam. What is it used for?

The local parts store that I have an account at, I agree the females do know their stuff, but the male owner is right up there with them. I do have to knock one of the ladies though, I went in a couple weeks ago and asked for a 1086 throwout bearing. She asked what the bearing goes in. I said the number stamped on the bearing is 1086. She said, I can't look up bearings by number, what does it go in. I said it's a 1086 bearing, that's the number stamped on the bearing, this stuff is mismatched, I need to go by the bearing number. She insisted it doesn't exist. I walked out. That was the first time I've ever been told the number stamped on the bearing cannot be what it is. Did a google search on that number, and voila!, many hits of guess what, a 1086 throwout bearing...lol... Of course the different companies add a letter or two to the number, but the 1086 is the same no matter what.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I have never used sea foam. What is it used for?

The local parts store that I have an account at, I agree the females do know their stuff, but the male owner is right up there with them. I do have to knock one of the ladies though, I went in a couple weeks ago and asked for a 1086 throwout bearing. She asked what the bearing goes in. I said the number stamped on the bearing is 1086. She said, I can't look up bearings by number, what does it go in. I said it's a 1086 bearing, that's the number stamped on the bearing, this stuff is mismatched, I need to go by the bearing number. She insisted it doesn't exist. I walked out. That was the first time I've ever been told the number stamped on the bearing cannot be what it is. Did a google search on that number, and voila!, many hits of guess what, a 1086 throwout bearing...lol... Of course the different companies add a letter or two to the number, but the 1086 is the same no matter what.

Sea Foam is one of those additives for cleaning your engine. Idea is to put a 1/3 in your crankcase, 1/3 in your fuel tank, 1/3 to be sucked in to your engine via vac hose and immediately shut it off, let it soak on top of your pistons for about 10 minutes then start it up and blow it out with all the **** it breaks loose. It creates quite the smoke show if your engine is real dirty. You can go to YouTube and search SeaFoam and you'll see the videos. I don't do that part though on cars with Cat Converters. I was in fear of that happening. Did it to my box van but thought wth, everyone else does it so I will too. Then drove it to Abilene, TX from OKC and about 50 miles from destination, couldn't go over 20mph. Sure enough, clogged Cat. Had to drill holes in it to make it home.

About every 3rd oil change, I'll put 1/2 can in my crankcase for the last 500 miles, and the other 1/2 in a full tank of gas. It will keep your engine clean. When I change oil, I change it very warm so any melted gunk stays that way and comes out. My oil is usually still gold when I change it 10-15,000 miles later. I just changed the oil in the 84 C20. When I went to log the oil change in my Excel file for maintenance in that truck, my last oil change was 7/16/13. Almost 3 years and the oil was still clean. I felt like I wasted an oil change. It wasn't needed. I use full synthetic and Mobil 1 or K&N filters.

Trixxterr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
As for the bearing look-up. Their system may be similar to ours, IF, the people who built the database listed w, multiple crosses then we can look it up by number. SOMETIMES, Most of the time it must be the EXACT part number. Or by application.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Seafoam sucks.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
What sux about it? It keeps my engines clean as can be.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I use Seafoam, seems to work pretty good..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli