WTB: Black NOS dash for my '82 please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iloveguns22

Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Please help me find a black nos dash. I want to finish my truck for my grandpa.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I just re-did a dash that I found for $40. It was frkin mint - but it was blue and I'm changing the truck over to black.

Used my normal method and it looks like factory black. My point is - if you find a good one of a different color, it can be painted:

Clean the surfaces meticulously with acetone or MEK (scrub the grain with a stiff nylon brush). Wash again with warm soap and water and rinse well.

The following all has to be done within an hour so have everything ready:

Two coats of SEM (or Duplicolor) plastic adhesion promoter. One light and the next wet - let it flash off between coats.

I used SEM to top coat but Duplicolor works as well (satin is better than trim black for the dash). Warm the can(s) in a sink of hot water before spraying. This produces a much nicer layer and also helps propel the paint.

The top coat must be applied within a half hour of the Adhesion Promoter or the paint will not bond and the dash will look like crap within two summers.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
That sounds like a plan. Got any full size pics of how it turned out?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
You mean the whole dash in one frame - or just after it was painted but still on the bench?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, in the truck installed. I'm sure you did the door panels too? I'd like see how it looks all together.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
This dash an door panels were painted with SEM a few years ago and still look just as good now. They were originally blue.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
This dash an door panels were painted with SEM a few years ago and still look just as good now. They were originally blue.

Looks like it's held up real well there Punkin !!!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Is that a green truck with orange interior???

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Looks like black reflecting green trees/grass, and faded red interior to me.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
You mean the whole dash in one frame - or just after it was painted but still on the bench?

Sorry Chen, Now I see the thumbnails will get big for close ups. That did turn out damn good. Looks great. Maybe there is a chance in hell after all I can have Charcoal Gray like I wanted. And you method sounds much different than I've seen done in the past. I've seen people use plastic or interior paint, and within 4 months it peeling and flaking off. Obviously wasn't prepped right. And probably didn't use the promoter either.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like black reflecting green trees/grass, and faded red interior to me.

Yeah, black paint and red interior. Not faded though, just really bright lighting.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah, black paint and red interior. Not faded though, just really bright lighting.

Ahhh, that makes sense. It sure looks a bit orangish in the pic though. I think we've seen other pics of this interior haven't we? IIRC it looked pretty good. I think I said something about the tablecloth fabric on the seats.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Ahhh, that makes sense. It sure looks a bit orangish in the pic though. I think we've seen other pics of this interior haven't we? IIRC it looked pretty good. I think I said something about the tablecloth fabric on the seats.

Yep, other pics are somewhere around here.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I'm sure you did the door panels too? I'd like see how it looks all together.

No haven't done the doors yet - I'll wait till the truck body has been painted. But even then I have no plans to save any old inner doors -always buy new panels. They need to be painted as described above since they usually only come in grey.

When I have tried to save inners in the past they never come out right. No matter what you apply it's impossible to replicate the pebble grain finish on the window sills. It's also very hard to even get the paint to stick.

One of the on-line trucks parts places (Classic Parts) sells a pair of real nice OEM panels for $129. It's money well spent - when done properly they look sharp.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'm sure you did the door panels too? I'd like see how it looks all together.

No haven't done the doors yet - I'll wait till the truck body has been painted. But even then I have no plans to save any old inner doors -always buy new panels. They need to be painted as described above since they usually only come in grey.

When I have tried to save inners in the past they never come out right. No matter what you apply it's impossible to replicate the pebble grain finish on the window sills. It's also very hard to even get the paint to stick.

One of the on-line trucks parts places (Classic Parts) sells a pair of real nice OEM panels for $129. It's money well spent - when done properly they look sharp.

I always thought the door panels and dash pads came in black only and had to be painted. Maybe I'll get lucky and the gray is the color I want. I don't care if the plastic light or dark gray, just so long as the dash matches the door panels. Then the cloth inserts on the doors will be made of the same charcoal gray as the fabric in the seat, with a black floor mat since I don't care for carpeting in trucks unless it's just a fully loaded and leather mall crawler type vehicle.

You said these panels are at Classic Parts? I'll look for their website. And you're saying they are good quality? $130 seems like a good price for a pair.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69