Won't start!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
I'm about ready to sell this damn truck I'm so frustrated. If it's not one thing it's another. Just when I think I've got her operating well, something else happens.

Today I fire her up to warm everything up. Fires on the first crank. Gotta stop and get gas. Put the key in to crank and nothing. Everything comes on electrically, but no crank. Then magically it fires, but I get a low voltage warning on my dash. Get to work and try again. Same thing, but this time it won't crank at all. I was getting some low voltage warnings before I replaced my alternator with a 100 amp unit a week ago, and haven't had anything happen since until this morning.

ALL the wiring in the truck is new from American Autowire. I replaced the steering column a few weeks ago because something had broke internally in the old one. I'm at a loss on just what this could be, but I suspect something electrical.

Could it be a lack of a ground somewhere? I have no idea, and I'm so pissed. This is my daily and I have got to get this figured out.

Any thoughts or suggestions are totally appreciated right now. I'll look at anything, although I'm a bit limited with tools since I'm at work.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Check the simple things first like the connections at the battery, alternator and starter.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The most important thing is to just think of the ignition system as a simple entity that you can figure out expediently. Try to curb your anger with the state of mind that you can figure it out because you can. First, just make sure your ignition fuse is tight and continuous and the correct fuse. I would then start from the battery and see if the integrated side posts are not rusty and de threaded. That's happened to me, and it sounds a lot like your problem. I would have all my electrical stuff, and then I'd try to start it, then nothing. It's really easy to overlook. Make sure the battery ground is tight and clean. If all that's good, it's likely that the starter and/or wires are grounding out, causing electrical system functionality, and then a lack of fire once the key is turned. I'm not as good as some of the other members, but it's frustrating not to hear back when you're in a jamb.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Check the simple things first like the connections at the battery, alternator and starter.

I grabbed a volt meter and will check those first.

The most important thing is to just think of the ignition system as a simple entity that you can figure out expediently. Try to curb your anger with the state of mind that you can figure it out because you can. First, just make sure your ignition fuse is tight and continuous and the correct fuse. I would then start from the battery and see if the integrated side posts are not rusty and de threaded. That's happened to me, and it sounds a lot like your problem. I would have all my electrical stuff, and then I'd try to start it, then nothing. It's really easy to overlook. Make sure the battery ground is tight and clean. If all that's good, it's likely that the starter and/or wires are grounding out, causing electrical system functionality, and then a lack of fire once the key is turned. I'm not as good as some of the other members, but it's frustrating not to hear back when you're in a jamb.

Battery and cables are all new as well. I know the ground is tight since I just tightened it last night because I had to adjust my steering wheel and didn't want to keep hearing the horn blare. I have power elsewhere in the truck which makes me thing it's something with the starter wiring. Maybe the wires got too close to the manifold or something and melted? Hope not but I'll be looking for something out of the ordinary.

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
So I went out to diagnose my problem. All the connections at the starter are good and tight. Wires look good and aren't melted. Battery, alt, and ground wires are all good and tight. Put the key in and it fired right up. F'ing weird. Something to note though is that my battery voltage with nothing on was 12.52 volts. When running my volt gauge always shows like 14 volts.

I'm at a loss.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
could it be the ignition switch on the column?

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
could it be the ignition switch on the column?

I suppose it could be, although there was a new one on the new column that I got. Anything is possible however.

Could the starter be going bad?

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Sounding like a starter to me

87scotty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V20
Engine Size
5.7 for now
Worn out starters act up when hot

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I guess if all that stuff is good, the starter being bad (as aforementioned) is a good bet. I feel like if it were the switch in the column, your problem would be chronic rather than intermittent, plus if it were the switch in the column, I feel like if you tried again, you'd be able to start it. As stated, starters will misbehave in such a way when they're going bad. But anything's possible.

Last edited:

BigPoser

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne Super 10
Engine Size
Thanks all for the help. I discovered that I have a serious draw from something (probably cause it's an old truck). Tested the battery with everything off and it was at 74% charge at 12.78 volts. With the engine running the voltage was at 14.1 so i know that my alternator is working fine. Turned the heater on full and the radio on for a while. Turned off the motor and it cranked, but barely, and not enough to get it started. Cranked better with everything off, but still slow. Hooked up a charger/starter and it fired no problem. Now with the engine running, I disconnected the charger and you could hear the RPM's drop.

I'm thinking that I need to try to get the battery up to 100% and see what happens. I'll also pick up some relay kits and add them throughout the system. Might end up needing a bigger battery, although I got this one back in June of last year.

Hell is could also be the starter I suppose.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
You can check for a drain using a 12v test bulb between the positive terminal on he battery and the disconnected positive cable. Just start pulling fuses until the light goes out. Honestly it is more likely a failing battery or starter. You could have the battery load tested. It doesnt seem like a drain issue because it sits overnight and starts right up but wont restart once its warmed up. If the starter has a shorted winding it will draw a large amount of current to crank over and leave your battery drained. A short trip may not recharge it and the next time you go to start it you don't have enough power to crank it.

Last edited:

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
sounds like the starter solenoid to me, i had the same problem. i modified my solenoid and added a ford solenoid to the firewall, starts every time now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising