Winch recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
As mentioned earlier, Harbor Freight has a good winch for CHEAP. I bought one just for giggles :) They claim its the best winch out there for the price. You can use this one for awhile then buy a big heavy duty Warn when cash flow is good

12,000 lbs @ $300. Steal of a deal! Its been sitting since I bought it because I haven't got around to fabbing up a winch mount lol

I've read a lot of good reviews about the Harbor Freight winches. I figure I'll get one of those for my 84 since I don't do any hardcore off-roading. I've only absolutely "needed" a winch a few times in my life, but I can think of several occasions where one would have been handy.

El Camino Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
JP
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30 Scottsdale
Engine Size
6.2L
I know once my winch is mounted itll come in handy at least a couple times a year. This winter will be the first winter Ill have a dually... 2wd dually at that... 2wd open diff dually... you get the picture lol

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
I know once my winch is mounted itll come in handy at least a couple times a year. This winter will be the first winter Ill have a dually... 2wd dually at that... 2wd open diff dually... you get the picture lol

FUN XD. Dont feel bad. Im in the same boat right now to... swapped back axle to different gears for gas milage, so now 4wd is useless. And my old axle has a locker in it, this is open.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Remove the inside duals and strap a couple junk engines in the back, that will help out a lot. A couple snow tires ain't a bad idea either.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Ok I have been looking at winches. I was wondering about a Smittybuilt 12k winch. Does anyone have one? What are your thoughts on a winch?

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread but thought I would share my winch experience. I am just now starting to get my 1ton up and going but I have been wheeling my jeep wrangler for over a decade. I have a Warn HS 9500i on my jeep. It is a great winch but there have been times that it needed everything it had to get my Jeep out.

I did have to pull a half ton up a bit of a hill (broken drive line no obstacles get over just a steep hill). Me and anther buddy had jeeps and where doing the pulling. it was twisty and we were doing a leap frog sort of thing. My buddy had a Smittybuilt 12K and it could barley move the truck up the hill. My 9500lb warn did much better but still was working hard.

Manufactures will tell you to get it at least 1.5 times the weight of you vehicle, from my experience is if you have a built off road rig go at least 2 times the weight. The more built your vehicle the deeper in and the worse it will get stuck and the harder it will be to recover. Having a little extra winch is no big deal, not having enough is a waste of money and could leave you stranded.

Last edited:

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
i have a warn 8274, it doubles @ 8 ton.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I too have some experience in the jeep world, and from a winch standpoint, I would say to try to stay away from thr china made models. Almost every brand offers them as entry level winches, but after running a 8k# mile marker, I'll spend the extra money next time on a better version.

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
To me, it is better to get a used Warn winch that still in good condition than a brandnew cheap brand.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
To me, it is better to get a used Warn winch that still in good condition than a brandnew cheap brand.

Absolutely. As long as it's not a used version of their new entry level winch. Even Warn gets their $400 winches from china.

MOguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Absolutely. As long as it's not a used version of their new entry level winch. Even Warn gets their $400 winches from china.

Even then it has Warn life time warranty on mechanical 1 year electric. I would think that they would keep replacement parts available even for their winches made in China.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
True, and my experience is with a Mile Marker winch, it was the electrical controls that failed outside of the warranty. The old style of winch control using multiple solenoids, has been replaced on the cheaper winches with an electronic control box or board. So instead of stopping into the parts store and grabbing a solenoid, you need to contact the manufacturer and get a new control unit. As far as I know, once you get into the traditional line of winches such as the Warn m8000, or anything above the entry level, then you get the dependability and ease of repair that they built their reputation on.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
Any idea what type of winches mount from the front? I have an old ramsey RE8000 and it needs rebuilding. Ive got a ramsey bumper and the "mounting tray" is not deep enough for a winch that mounts on its feet.

Smitch320

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mitchell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350/SM465 Short Bed
What I am really asking does anyone have a ramsey bumper with a winch that is not ramsey, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe