Who sells the best fitting dash pad. Time for a new one

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
Its time for me to replace the dash in the stepside. There are many vendors
and most are from the same maker. Some companies have exclusive dashes
that are a perfect fit, like NDP, but thats for camaros. Who do you recommend?

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
Have it recovered. You already knwo it fits and a recovered will be the same fit. Plus, if you want you can change the color at the same time.
When I had mine done it was actually cheaper to get it covered than to replace. Just make sure if you want the speaker holes they know in advance.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well I’ve bragged up the one I bought from The Truck and Car Shop, until now. Idk if it’s the direct heat since the truck has been getting used sporadically as a daily and left in the summer sun closed up all day, more often, but the drivers side cutout for the defrost vent has now humped up and popped the vent grille out.
The might be in the “none of them are perfect” camp now too…

SmashBack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big 10
Engine Size
I bought a couple different ones and settled on USA1. Seemed like a great one out of the box. Fit ended up being so-so. Needed a lot of trimming. A metal support thing came out from where I HAD to trim, top right of gauge bezel. Then I realized this thing is spray painted (aka dyed). Paint scrapes off super easy, looks like ass now. For $400 it could at least have colored vinyl...definitely not buying anymore soft parts from USA1, and my last order was interesting to say the least. Definitely will be looking to have mine redone, but who knows when I'll find someone that does good work.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Show quality or daily driver or..?

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
I'd settle for an octave or two above fugly
You must be registered for see images attach

The more I read about people's experiences with aftermarket dash pads, and seeing how brothers pad is holding up in his c10, it has me leaning towards recovering the one I have.

Then I can decide to stay with the rpo code for saddle or finish what the prior guy was trying to pull off in gray.

Oh yeah, that column is coming out for a period correct version that also matches the rpo codes.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Some people don’t like them but if you’re not going “pro show” then consider a dash cover. I used a Coverlay Manufacturing dash cover, it fit great and only had a couple of small places were it didn’t perfectly cover my old busted up dash. For a regular daily or nice weekend ride I think it’s great and it cost about $150 so it saved me $250+ over a crappy fitting aftermarket replacement dash.

Attachments

• IMG_5166.jpeg
    IMG_5166.jpeg
    144.7 KB · Views: 102
Reaction score
First Name
uncle nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban
Engine Size
v8
Some people don’t like them but if you’re not going “pro show” then consider a dash cover. I used a Coverlay Manufacturing dash cover, it fit great and only had a couple of small places were it didn’t perfectly cover my old busted up dash. For a regular daily or nice weekend ride I think it’s great and it cost about $150 so it saved me $250+ over a crappy fitting aftermarket replacement dash.
How is this one holding up for you?
My dash is in bad shape on my 86 suburban and my upholstery job was a sh!t show to say the least.
Is this like a plastic covering? Can you see any gaps between this overlay and the new dash?

Attachments

• IMG_2209.jpeg
    IMG_2209.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2208.jpeg
    IMG_2208.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 36

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don’t know if they’re all equal (coverlays), but I did get one in the correct color (a shame, because it would’ve looked really nice) from the jungle website.

It was easily an 1/8-1/4” too short and in trying to get it to fit, cracked in two places. I sent it back and got a refund.

There’s a local Mexican guy around that does reupholstering here and I think I’m just going to have him re-cover my own. It’ll likely have some stitching around the corners but I’m ok with that if it lasts years.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My dash is in bad shape on my 86 suburban and my upholstery job was a sh!t show to say the least.
Is this like a plastic covering? Can you see any gaps between this overlay and the new dash?

It’s holding up great but it hasn’t left the shop. lol Even when I do start driving it again it’s just a play toy so it likely won’t see enough constant UV exposure to have any effect.

As far as the fit, it was pretty good considering what it is - a thin plastic shell that glued to the original dash. I did have a couple of places at the outer ends in the door jam areas where the cover was short by about 1/8”~1/4”. Also the long straight area right above the glove box is a tad short to keep it from covering the original dash mounting screws.

It’s not a show quality piece but I’d say it’s a great alternative to a $400+ dash for a daily driver, weekend driver.

Randy and Easton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 LWB
Engine Size
We had a very bad experience at truck and car shop in Cali… had to send one back, replacement was just as bad. Sent it back and went with LMC. Looks great and went right in. Only trimming was around passenger AC vents to allow vent to sit flush and dash bezel to deep set for post clutch back nut to secure it.
Would buy again.

Randy and E

Attachments

• IMG_1128.jpeg
    IMG_1128.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1134.jpeg
    IMG_1134.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1137.jpeg
    IMG_1137.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1188.jpeg
    IMG_1188.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1191.jpeg
    IMG_1191.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 52

GTX63

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I have used several of the Coverlays. Like most or all of the dash "inserts" the final fit takes some time. The driver's side verticle end along the amp and clock seems to pull away as it goes toward the bottom, like the top was manufactured an 1/8" too narrow. It hasn't been anything I would return it for, and 9.5 people out of 10 wouldn't notice it. I had a dark brown one warp slightly over the center speaker cover after a few straight weeks in full August sun.
There is a youtube video around of a guy that pulls the original dash and uses a hair dryer to remove all of the old vinyl before installing the new cover. It seems to help with the final fit.
The trucks I turn out are daily drivers and not intended to be garage queens. At $150 a pop, if they last 5-7 years, I'm good with that.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
We had a very bad experience at truck and car shop in Cali… had to send one back, replacement was just as bad. Sent it back and went with LMC. Looks great and went right in. Only trimming was around passenger AC vents to allow vent to sit flush and dash bezel to deep set for post clutch back nut to secure it.
Would buy again.

Randy and E
Car and Truck Shop was where I got ours. The expensive one whatever it was. It fit fine. Very tight to get in but no trimming. Minus the later issue posted above.
Their prices always seemed right compared to the others like LMC and Ecklers etc. But their service and returns was no bueno por ****.
I’d be hard pressed to use them again unless necessary, unfortunately. Cause they do seem like a mom n pop place, which I’d rather support.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
That looks really good actually

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64