Which engine/trans/converter should I go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Most people are clueless when it comes to installing gaskets correctly. Get a gasket kit and redo the gaskets on the engine. I like the felpro blue one piece perma something gaskets for the valve covers and oil pan. Both can be had for pre 86 blocks

I have had my oil pan off three times and still using the same gasket with no leaks.

The FelPro headgasket trademark name is PermaTorque. Don't need retorquing.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
The FelPro headgasket trademark name is PermaTorque. Don't need retorquing.

They sell the blue rubber/silicone gaskets under that name

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I tried looking at the numbers on the block but there are accessories in the way on the front and the firewall is too close on the back. I'll try looking again today and see if I can't get them. I don't think I want to go with efi right now, that will be a consideration after I get the truck's body restored better.

I was thinking about getting this engine set up here: http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet-Performance/809/10067353K8/10002/-1 and a 700r4. Can anyone recommend a reputable place to buy a 700r4?

That's $810 more than the engine alone. Some thoughts:

- you don't need the "dress-up kit". Crinkle paint is impossible to get dirt and oil off of. Chrome is much better.

- you would be better off keeping the thermac than going to an open-element air cleaner. This is a very big deal in cold weather.

- a Qjet will get better mileage and performance than an Edelbrock.

- you can probably use your existing distributor and carb.

- the intake manifold choice is good.

- there are better gaskets available.

Just get the base engine for $1510, and you'll have $810 left over to spend on a new Qjet and distributor if you need them, with more than enough left over for chrome valve covers, a chrome air cleaner top, some much better gaskets, and a set of Taylor wires.

AJH

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The truck actually came with an open style air cleaner. So I'll just get a thermac air cleaner setup when I replace the engine.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
How in hell are you gonna impress anybody with a thermostatic air cleaner ?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
BTW 3.08 gears with 33" rubber and a 700r4 is just asking for trouble even if it is HD

AJH

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
How in hell are you gonna impress anybody with a thermostatic air cleaner ?

Unfortunately, I'm the only person I know personally who seems to even care about what their vehicle looks like other than being the newest vehicle.

BTW 3.08 gears with 33" rubber and a 700r4 is just asking for trouble even if it is HD

I thought this may be a problem based on other forums I have read. Is this because the trans will be worked too hard with 3.08's and 33'' tires? Would it help if the truck had 3.73's? And currently are 3.08's, 33'' tires, and th350 trans a problem?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Th350 is much more reliable than the 700r4. Yes, 3.73's will help your 700r4 alot instead of 3.08's. Go either way but you probably don't want to do both. 3.73 and a Th350 with no OD will mean motor wound up pretty good at 70mph. Either go 3.73 and keep the 700r4, or do the Th350 and keep the 3.08's. This of course if you just using it for a daily driver commuter vehicle.

AJH

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Th350 is much more reliable than the 700r4. Yes, 3.73's will help your 700r4 alot instead of 3.08's. Go either way but you probably don't want to do both. 3.73 and a Th350 with no OD will mean motor wound up pretty good at 70mph. Either go 3.73 and keep the 700r4, or do the Th350 and keep the 3.08's. This of course if you just using it for a daily driver commuter vehicle.

I'm glad I made this thread. I figured I'd rather drive the k10 then worry aout mpg's. I am going to get the th350 rebuilt. Then get the engine rebuilt or buy the gmpp 260hp/350ci crate engine. I will only drive this in bad winter conditions which my DD can usually handle, its an 03 Toyota Matrix with 4wd. Its great until the snow gets too high here in Toledo. I was mostly concerned because I was going to trade it in last week for a newer Camaro SS and was going to have to drive the Camaro in the winter. But the dealer was offering me thousands lower than I can sell it for my self. So I'll wait until spring and see if I can't just keep it as a winter beater car so my new car and the K10 don't have to see the salt.

AJH

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Also I found this post in another thread:

A V8 does not split the combustion strokes left/right/left/right, but rather you end up with pairs within each bank firing next to each other. This can create odd paired pulses in the separate exhaust pipes. Adding an H or X pipe helps the extra pulses move to the not-currently-used-during-that-pulse other tube.

A bit more work, but better torque and sound.

I did 1-1/2" primary tube headers, into 2-1/2" pipe, an X pipe, the cheapest "turbo" mufflers I could buy, and 2-1/4" tails.

With my lumpy cam, it sounds healthy, but not obnoxious. Like a bouncer wearing a 3-piece suit.

You must be registered for see images attach

No idea about torque before and after, as I never drove the truck before I started building it. It's fine as it is, but needs more gear.

Is this picture something that I could take into a muffler shop and have them do to my k10? Right now I have straight duals from header to header. When I get the engine and trans done I would also like to get some headers and put in an exhaust like this.

I was thinking of these hooker headers that Rich Weyand had suggested before in this thread http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker/520/24...1nI928xSQNKZX0aAk6N8P8HAQ&CA_6C15C=1799571305

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Note that is not a K truck in the pics. The transfer case in a K truck sits where the X is. Also, an X gives you more horsepower, while an H gives you more torque. Given those, I went with the H pipe. The muffler shop can implement an H pipe no problem. An X pipe, too, if it isn't a K truck. Not sure about an X on a K, there's not a lot of room under there.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh yeah, if it's a secondary bad weather / recreation vehicle, I'd certainly go with the Th350.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
X2 this^^^

Sent from the dust in front of you!

Latest posts