Wheelwell trim

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I saw a c-10 that's the same body style as my '86 short box and it had what looked to be factory wheel well trim with no other trim on the side. I really liked the look and I see LMC has the trim for about $50.00

My concern is that I don't want any rust to start. My truck is essentially rust free, I live in the PNW, and it sits in the driveway.

Anybody have experience with this?

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
Any time you penetrate the steel, give a place to hold moisture, etc., you are inviting corrosion. I just installed new well trim over new paint and I cringed with every screw hole! However, the truck looks unfinished without them. A person should really remove the trim yearly to address anything starting to stay ahead of the game. I am still plotting ways to keep ahead/behind the wheels protected from gathering a ton of dirt.

Norwester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10
Engine Size
I thought about putting a little gob of sealant on the screw threads before installing and considered removing them every year or two to clean it up. Thanks for your reply.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I saw a c-10 that's the same body style as my '86 short box and it had what looked to be factory wheel well trim with no other trim on the side. I really liked the look and I see LMC has the trim for about $50.00

My concern is that I don't want any rust to start. My truck is essentially rust free, I live in the PNW, and it sits in the driveway.

Anybody have experience with this?

As a wetsider, you have not too much to worry about rust wise, fortunately.
The trim holes aren't also likely what would get your truck first, rust-wise, but yes it's a concern. I certainly wouldn't let that hold up sprucing up the truck.
I'd clean up the inside of the fender wells real good, including the lip they screw into and just paint that area on the backside after the install.
Sealant (caulking, seamsealer, etc) is an "ok" idea IMO, but it's not going to protect from the important side (back side) and may just trap moisture a bit longer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1