whats the cute little valve thingy on this bad boy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I dont know what trans it is either(th350???) but the little vac. canister thing valve. Ive never noticed one before.

You must be registered for see images attach

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
vacuum modulator, looks to be a th350

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
From the interwebs, "The transmission vacuum modulator valve determines how much load is on the engine so the transmission can shift properly."

From experience the 1-2 shift is fine when it isn't hooked up, doesn't 2-3 without dropping the shifter to l2 and back to D

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The vacuum modulator “modulates” engine load and throttle to determine shift points in relation to vehicle speed. In other words, low engine loads=high engine vacuum, lower shift points and line pressure for smooth shifts. Stand on the throttle, low engine vacuum, that raises line pressure and takes more govenor pressure to force the shift valves to the upshift position.

With the vacuum modulator unhooked, as far as the valvebody in concerned the engine is at full throttle all the time. Unless other modifications are made to the valvebody it won’t shift until whatever vehicle speed it is calibrated to make a WOT shift.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The vacuum modulator “modulates” engine load and throttle to determine shift points in relation to vehicle speed. In other words, low engine loads=high engine vacuum, lower shift points and line pressure for smooth shifts. Stand on the throttle, low engine vacuum, that raises line pressure and takes more govenor pressure to force the shift valves to the upshift position.

With the vacuum modulator unhooked, as far as the valvebody in concerned the engine is at full throttle all the time. Unless other modifications are made to the valvebody it won’t shift until whatever vehicle speed it is calibrated to make a WOT shift.
My dads 75. th350. He had an issue where it seemed to not upshift for the life of it, we chocked it up to a poorly running carb and thus it kinda got parked when the front drivestrain got REAL bad and he had to unbolt the driveshaft in the front to get it home(np203, from what i read). I was gonna source a new manifold and a good carb for him to replace the current one(so no downtime with engine opened up) once it was warmer, im leaning toward holley, and set the distributor back to base timing. assuming that isnt the sole fix for his problems, do you think that regulator could have issues or goes bad? A meth head screwed with the entire thing when we were away, so I know there are a laundry list of things that could be affected. I know the guy said something about the transmission. The truck is stock except for a dump bed, and it came from High altitude montana and its primarily pulled heavy items or towed or moved snow in its life, id bet you it wasnt adjusted after coming to sea level either. But the WOT shifting thing really sounds like what I remember when it started getting bad. Its a SBC with a 400, if that meant anything different.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I'd certainly check the vac modulator in that case. It may have even just come unplugged at the transmission end. That can happen as the rubber get's old and swells if it's got fluids on it and it gets spongy and rots, or even gets brittle and cracks and then leaks air sucking air instead of letting the modulator feell the full vacuum. So yes, by all means, check the vac hose at both ends. If those are good, then swap another known good modulator on it. Keep in mind, some look different than that biggo canister type. Most people now have the little brass bell looking type and they work just as well and maybe even better since they're adustable with a tiny screw inside the vac hole. You can turn it in a tighten up the spring that the vac needs to overcome to move the modulator valve and delay the shift points, or back it out to make them earlier shift points.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The modulator can change shift points, but only 2-4 mph either way. If you need more of a change then the govenor needs to be modified.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
The modulator can change shift points, but only 2-4 mph either way. If you need more of a change then the govenor needs to be modified.
True, and even 2-4 can make a difference in shift quality. A tad bit firmer and a tad later can make a noticable difference. Tightening the detent cable to pull a bit earlier can also change the shift points and firm the shift too but you can't tell some that. They claim it's for downshift only.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
The location of that modulator is for a TH350. The TH400 modulator is on the passenger side near the front of the trans.

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
You gents are very knowledgeable! I learn a lot every day

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP