Whats needed to upgrade my A/C system from R12 to R134a??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I have a factory untouched system. I cannot get R12 anymore as we all know.

What all do I need to updated my system?? replace everything?? or just parts of it?? THANKS:cheers:

1985 K20 5.7

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
All I replaced was the compressor; orifice tube; o-rings and added the fittings in both my 1991 Blazer and my 1989 Sierra. Never touched the condenser, accumulator (both still the originals); lines or the evap.

6.5 years in the Blazer, still blows 38* at the vents.

2 years in the Sierra, still blows 39* at the vents.

There will be plenty of people telling you to replace everything but my personal experience has shown it to be a waste of time and money.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I hear its all about cleaning out the old oil

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I hear its all about cleaning out the old oil

There is an ESTER oil you add that keeps the old oil dormant. It says you can mix it instead of draining the old oil..

It called EZCHILL retro kit.. I have read so much and so many different ways to do this. I wanted to hear some real world facts from you guys that have done this with out a problem.

I will follow RETROC10SPORT and see if all is well :cheers:

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
No component changes are required to switch over from R12 to 134a. All the currently installed parts can remain and will work just fine with a 134a charge. You might want to change to replace the Accumulator (filter drier) and the expansion tube. The accumulator/filter-drier is that big silver canister attached to the evaporator housing. The expansion tube is accessible by opening the fitting that connects the liquid line to the evaporator inlet.

Filter drier:

You must be registered for see images attach

Expansion tube:

Couple of notes:

You will have to dump the remaining R12 before anything else is done. You can release it to atmosphere, but certified shops cannot.

They have special re-re (refrigerant recovery) equipment that captures the R12. When they have a full bottle it gets sold to a facility that purifies and repackages it for re-sale. The production of new R-12 was banned worldwide years ago, so the only source is what can be reclaimed.

Anyway, if a shop does this conversion, that recovery process will trigger an extra charge. If you do it yourself it is free.

Whatever way you do it, after the system gets dumped, it will need to be flushed, evacuated and recharged with 134a.

Flushing is required because the oil used with R-12 is non-compatible with the oil used with 134a. There is a specific, involved, expensive way to do this - or there is the easy way. Provided your system is not being changed over due to a "black death" casualty you can do it with all the components in place and using just compressed air.

Black death is just a term used to describe a refrigeration system that has been disabled due to a catastrophic failure of the compressor. All the components and connecting tubing/hoses are contaminated with burnt (caked on) oil and all the metal particles that resulted from the compressor failure.

Release all the tubing fittings that connect the 3 main components (compressor, condenser & evaporator). Remove the suction/discharge hose manifold from the back of the compressor. Release the discharge hose from the condenser inlet and the suction hose from the accumulator (filter/drier) outlet. Pull the existing expansion tube from the tubing that leads into the evap. Remove the accumulator/filter-drier.

Using 100 psi compressed air at a good volume:

Blow the residual oil from the condenser and evaporator coils. Do this in in both directions. Repeat until you feel that the bulk of the old oil is removed.

Blow out the liquid line that connects the condenser to the evaporator.

Blow out both compressor hoses.

Understand that the old R-12 oil is not like "poison" to the newly added 134a - it just does not circulate as well. So if there is a bit that remains in the system it will not be an issue.

That's it for flushing.

Using new o-rings at the fittings, replace your filter drier and expansion tubing.

Add PAG 100 oil in quantities as below and close the system up.

•Compressor- (1 ounce)
•Evaporator - (3 ounces)
•Condenser - (1 ounce)
•Accumulator (2 ounces)

Evacuate, leak check (system should hold 28" Hg overnight) and charge with about 50 ounces (4 cans) of 134a. You will have to jump your low pressure cut-out switch to get the first 2 cans in. After that the system will have enough pressure to allow the low pressure switch to operate normally and keep the compressor running.

You will need to buy a set of adapters for the service ports so you can charge and attach your gauges - if you have them. The adapters just screw on to the existing service ports.

From GM:

R 134A Retrofit Procedures

UPDATED BY TSB # 331226 DATED JANUARY, 1994

Retrofitting an R-12 vehicle to R-134a requires careful preparation to insure that neither the vehicle nor the A/C service equipment has become contaminated.
When performed properly, the retrofit from R-12 to R-134a will have minimal effect on the system's performance in most climatic conditions found in the United States and Canada.
COMPRESSORS DO NOT NEED TO BE REPLACED AS PART OF THE NORMAL RETROFIT. An R-12 compressor that is operating properly can be left in the vehicle when it is retrofitted to R-134a.

Last edited:

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
No component changes are required to switch over from R12 to 134a. All the currently installed parts can remain and will work just fine with a 134a charge. You might want to change to replace the Accumulator (filter drier) and the expansion tube. The accumulator/filter-drier is that big silver canister attached to the evaporator housing. The expansion tube is accessible by opening the fitting that connects the liquid line to the evaporator inlet.

Filter drier:

Expansion tube:

Couple of notes:

You will have to dump the remaining R12 before anything else is done. You can release it to atmosphere, but certified shops cannot.

They have special re-re (refrigerant recovery) equipment that captures the R12. When they have a full bottle it gets sold to a facility that purifies and repackages it for re-sale. The production of new R-12 was banned worldwide years ago, so the only source is what can be reclaimed.

Anyway, if a shop does this conversion, that recovery process will trigger an extra charge. If you do it yourself it is free.

Whatever way you do it, after the system gets dumped, it will need to be flushed, evacuated and recharged with 134a.

Flushing is required because the oil used with R-12 is non-compatible with the oil used with 134a. There is a specific, involved, expensive way to do this - or there is the easy way. Provided your system is not being changed over due to a "black death" casualty you can do it with all the components in place and using just compressed air.

Black death is just a term used to describe a refrigeration system that has been disabled due to a catastrophic failure of the compressor. All the components and connecting tubing/hoses are contaminated with burnt (caked on) oil and all the metal particles that resulted from the compressor failure.

Release all the tubing fittings that connect the 3 main components (compressor, condenser & evaporator). Remove the suction/discharge hose manifold from the back of the compressor. Release the discharge hose from the condenser inlet and the suction hose from the accumulator (filter/drier) outlet. Pull the existing expansion tube from the tubing that leads into the evap. Remove the accumulator/filter-drier.

Using 100 psi compressed air at a good volume:

Blow the residual oil from the condenser and evaporator coils. Do this in in both directions. Repeat until you feel that the bulk of the old oil is removed.

Blow out the liquid line that connects the condenser to the evaporator.

Blow out both compressor hoses.

Understand that the old R-12 oil is not like "poison" to the newly added 134a - it just does not circulate as well. So if there is a bit that remains in the system it will not be an issue.

That's it for flushing.

Using new o-rings at the fittings, replace your filter drier and expansion tubing.

Add PAG 100 oil in quantities as below and close the system up.

•Compressor- (1 ounce)
•Evaporator - (3 ounces)
•Condenser - (1 ounce)
•Accumulator (2 ounces)

Evacuate, leak check (system should hold 28" Hg overnight) and charge with about 50 ounces (4 cans) of 134a. You will have to jump your low pressure cut-out switch to get the first 2 cans in. After that the system will have enough pressure to allow the low pressure switch to operate normally and keep the compressor running.

You will need to buy a set of adapters for the service ports so you can charge and attach your gauges - if you have them. The adapters just screw on to the existing service ports.

From GM:

R 134A Retrofit Procedures

UPDATED BY TSB # 331226 DATED JANUARY, 1994

Retrofitting an R-12 vehicle to R-134a requires careful preparation to insure that neither the vehicle nor the A/C service equipment has become contaminated.
When performed properly, the retrofit from R-12 to R-134a will have minimal effect on the system's performance in most climatic conditions found in the United States and Canada.
COMPRESSORS DO NOT NEED TO BE REPLACED AS PART OF THE NORMAL RETROFIT. An R-12 compressor that is operating properly can be left in the vehicle when it is retrofitted to R-134a.

EXCELLENT!!:cheers: Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sparky77