R134a Conversion checklist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jak22099

Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
400 SBC
Hey all,

Have been ignoring it for awhile and have been counting on the quarter windows to keep me alive but I think I am finally going to get cracking on getting some AC. '84 K10, 400 sbc with factory AC. The GM r4 compressor isn't hooked up but it's probably junk at this point, am planning on chucking it and going with a sanden. The hoses are also junk and I'd need custom ones anyways so I'm gonna get a hose kit and have them crimped at whatever shop I take it to to get the system charged once I'm done. Also replacing the accumulator, will take the evap core out of the airbox to make sure it's in decent shape and replace if needed and reseal everything. Will also swap out the condenser with something a little more modern to work with r134a better. Will put in a new orifice tube as well and figure out how to run in a high pressure cutoff switch, I assume I just run it parallel with the dark green sending wire that goes from the compressor to the airbox. Anything important I'm leaving out? This is my first time doing extensive AC work and I wanna make sure I got all my ducks in a row. I'm also curious if anyone has a similar setup - what belt did you end up using? As far as I know they have to be a little bit bigger to accommodate the Sandens but I'd rather not just do trial and error if I can avoid it. It's a V belt and the compressor is on the driver's side. Attached a picture of the current r4 compressor for reference since I know the clutches can differ a bit, as well as the link to the sanden I'm lookin at:

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Attachments

• 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    88 KB · Views: 41

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I would get the newer condensor as well. The old style doesn't transfer the heat as efficiently with 134a.
This is the ine I used and mine is really cold (just got it charged about 3 hours ago!):

You might also look at the likes of Vintage Air. They make seome nice stuff but are not cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe