what year truck did i buy?? experts needed!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Can you look at the transmission hump? Can you slide your hand along the side and feel for some bolts? The 80's transmission humps were smooth and not bolted in. The seventies were bolted in.

You should be able to read a serial number on the dash by looking through the windshield on the drivers side. It might have a aftermarket pad installed IDK.

I think you should take a close look at the rear cross member by the bumper. I think the 80's trucks have large holes drilled through the center of them. The 70's do not. This will tell you if it is an 80's frame.

This is how it is on my 1979. I am not sure about the 1976 models.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
We have a crowd watching this thread now.:popcorn:

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
[QUOTE=firebane;276017]The Dana44 would say its a 73-78ish running gear unless they swapped front axles which would be silly.

Sounds like someone had a good body from a later model and used it on a early model frame and did a crappy job fitting everything else.

@moonman cab mounts don't change between the years you just have to change out the rubber mounts. So if the body mounts look like they have been changed that will be a good indicator as well.

I think you are right. That is why I asked about the rear crossmember and the trans hump. The trans hump could be changed but it takes a little more work to change a rear crossmember.

Dana 44's are starting to get a little harder to come by down here in the US. Cash for clunkers program plus high scrap prices have done a number on the availability of spare parts down here.[/QUOTE]

You mean the hump on the floor in the cab? My truck used to be a automatic. Someone changed this from an automatic to a manual. I'll get some pics of the cross member

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I looked a Lil bit ago and my brake lines run thru the frame as well if that means anything

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Yes the hump in the floor. Down along the bottom there should be bolts. My brake lines on my 79 run through the frame as well.

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Brake lines on my 74 are through the frame so I'm still going with my gut on the fact its a 73-78 frame with newer body panels.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Brake lines on my 74 are through the frame so I'm still going with my gut on the fact its a 73-78 frame with newer body panels.

I think you are right.

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
If I remember right I have a smooth hump...Lol its been cut out since it used to be an automatic. They put a piece of diamond plate over it. . So in this case an 80s truck could bolt up to a 70's frame with no trouble then? And this being said maybe I do have a 76 according to the title....

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
If I remember right I have a smooth hump...Lol its been cut out since it used to be an automatic. They put a piece of diamond plate over it. . So in this case an 80s truck could bolt up to a 70's frame with no trouble then? And this being said maybe I do have a 76 according to the title....

Look at the rear crossmember and see of it has any holes through it or if it is solid. If it is solid then it is a seventies frame.

As far as a auto to standard swap goes. Those are not hard to do. The 80's cabs had the humps that were welded in. The 70's humps were bolted in. You can cut out the center hump and put a bolted one in though in a 80's model truck. :) If the hump is smooth then it is a 80's cab.:)

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

73-87 trucks are ALL interchangeable when it comes to body parts. Meaning yes you can put a cab from a 74 onto a 82 without issues except the body mounts.

Front clips can be swapped by using the entire from clip from wipers to the grille.

Box can be swapped just the same except you have to change out the filler hose as its larger on the later trucks.

I would in fact say you have a 76 truck which was probably falling apart as most are after 40 years and someone had good body parts and swapped them across.

Regarding the VIN its technically illegal to swap VINs from one truck to another so the cab maybe original to the frame and they just tried to update the interior with a newer steering wheel because people like myself get annoyed at the floor switch for the headlights or the crappy stock wiper switch.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
73-87 trucks are ALL interchangeable when it comes to body parts. Meaning yes you can put a cab from a 74 onto a 82 without issues except the body mounts.

Front clips can be swapped by using the entire from clip from wipers to the grille.

Box can be swapped just the same except you have to change out the filler hose as its larger on the later trucks.

I would in fact say you have a 76 truck which was probably falling apart as most are after 40 years and someone had good body parts and swapped them across.

Regarding the VIN its technically illegal to swap VINs from one truck to another so the cab maybe original to the frame and they just tried to update the interior with a newer steering wheel because people like myself get annoyed at the floor switch for the headlights or the crappy stock wiper switch.

Mooman I think this is your answer. :) Thanks Curtis. I was getting to the same conclusion but you said it much better and quicker than I did.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
You can get the VIN from the frame, then you'll know what frame it's from at least. The rest just makes me cringe thinking about getting the title signed over in your name.

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Phweeew...... hopefully we got it figured out..... thanks guys! I'll check out that crossmember then and check back just to seal the deal lol

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Just be aware that the DMV may run you through the ringer because of the missing VIN plates.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
Wait - you said you needed an expert. I am no expert. Firebane is though!:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Obullard74