what year truck did i buy?? experts needed!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
hello everyone. I recently went to new York from PA to buy a "1976 k20" supposedly. It was my first square body, so I was unaware of some things. once I got it home I noticed all the VIN plates are missing. The truck has an entire 80s grill, hood and front clip. even has a spot where a VIN plate once was under the dash. From what I read the vin plates weren't under the dash pre 1980. I seem to have an '85 steering column since I have wipers and high beams and none on the dash, but I have the early style dash pad and since I have the headlight switch that is lowered means its a 70s dash, is it possible to change the front clip and grill to 80s and leave the cab as a 70s? makes it about impossible to order the correct parts. what the heck truck do I actually own???!!

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Take some pictures to document this stuff. A truck of these eras have a tendency to be a hodge podge of parts.

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Take some pictures to document this stuff. A truck of these eras have a tendency to be a hodge podge of parts.

I will in the morning in the daylight. Any other thing to look for to know for sure?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I will in the morning in the daylight. Any other thing to look for to know for sure?

Well the trucks are from 73-87 and most stuff will interchange. I have a 74 with a 80s grille but the front clip is 73-79 as the headlights squared out late 79

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Well the trucks are from 73-87 and most stuff will interchange. I have a 74 with a 80s grille but the front clip is 73-79 as the headlights squared out late 79

Here's a pic of the front end. Def 80s

Attachments

• 20150615_094628.jpg
    20150615_094628.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 141

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yup 80s front clip

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Yup 80s front clip

if I have an 80s front clip (which I do) then why do I have a spot where theres a missing vin plate on the dash? you can see where a vin plate was riveted to the dash once before. from what I read the 70s cabs didn't have vins on the dash. but I have a pre 80s dash. its just so confusing, and I know its pre 80s because I have the light switch that's in the lower position because they raised the light switch when they put the wiper switch on the column.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Up to 1978 (I think, may be wrong here), the VIN is on a plate on the drivers door jamb.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
I know for certain that the vin on my '79 was on the dash.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I'd say that whole body is from the 80s. You have the newer style mirrors, the newer style square headlight front clip. The bed has doors for the gas tank (think they came out in '79) Do your vent windows have the little locking button on them? This was something from the 80s.

What front axle do you have? D44 or GM 10 bolt? They got rid of the D44 in '78 (ish).

Engine cross members changed I think in 1984. The older ones are more prone to cracking. I'm having trouble finding a pic of cross members... I'm sure someone else on here has some.

Do your front brake lines go thru your frame? Or are they attached to a bracket below the frame? This changed in '79 when they went from 7/16" banjo bolts to 10mm.

That will give you some more clues as to what you have anyway.

Last edited:

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I'd say that whole body is from the 80s. You have the newer style mirrors, the newer style square headlight front clip. The bed has doors for the gas tank (think they came out in '79) Do your vent windows have the little locking button on them? This was something from the 80s.

What front axle do you have? D44 or GM 10 bolt? They got rid of the D44 in '78 (ish).

Engine cross members changed I think in 1984. The older ones are more prone to cracking. I'm having trouble finding a pic of cross members... I'm sure someone else on here has some.

Do your front brake lines go thru your frame? Or are they attached to a bracket below the frame? This changed in '79 when they went from 7/16" banjo bolts to 10mm.

That will give you some more clues as to what you have anyway.

Wow thanks for all the helpful info! Another thing I noticed is my dash pad has the "custom" emblem insert above the glove box and not the custom deluxe. That means this dash is interchangeable with the early a 73-74 model before the deluxe model came out am I right?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Wow thanks for all the helpful info! Another thing I noticed is my dash pad has the "custom" emblem insert above the glove box and not the custom deluxe. That means this dash is interchangeable with the early a 73-74 model before the deluxe model came out am I right?

That "strip" in the dash is interchangeable as is that logo. Like I said these trucks generally end up being a hodge podge of parts and while we would like to know what we have... We just accept we have a cool old truck.

mooman929

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
That "strip" in the dash is interchangeable as is that logo. Like I said these trucks generally end up being a hodge podge of parts and while we would like to know what we have... We just accept we have a cool old truck.

Yeah I know it is cool but I ordered a new gauge bezel and it doesn't seem to fit real well which makes it frustrating cuz the stuffs not cheap and each generation things changed a little bit that's why I'd like to know at least what parts of the truck are from which year. ....does anyone know if the mid 80s dash pad will fit with the early model gauge bezel before I go spend the money on a new pad? Like I said I have blank spot where the Vin used to be on the dash but the dash pad that i have doesn't have the cutout for the vin

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yeah I know it is cool but I ordered a new gauge bezel and it doesn't seem to fit real well which makes it frustrating cuz the stuffs not cheap and each generation things changed a little bit that's why I'd like to know at least what parts of the truck are from which year. ....does anyone know if the mid 80s dash pad will fit with the early model gauge bezel before I go spend the money on a new pad? Like I said I have blank spot where the Vin used to be on the dash but the dash pad that i have doesn't have the cutout for the vin

You most likely have a later model cab and the VIN tag is the only way of actually knowing this.

You can swap stuff around but you have to match all the parts correctly as the early bezels don't fit the later dash pads properly.

Pictures of your instrument cluster can also lead to clues about the years that is as well to help further figure out stuff.

Don5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
k15
Engine Size
I know for certain that the vin on my '79 was on the dash.

^+1. My 1979 GMC is the same as well.

OP-Does it have a 100 mph speedometer?

What date does your title have on it?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millernf