What was your first squarebody experience?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
So tell us, what's the first square you remember being around, riding in, whatever.

My uncle had a baby blue one up until I turned 7. Then he traded it for a new Astro van. I remember having to ride in the back which had a camper shell and was carpeted so it wasn't bad.

Don't know the year, but he probably bought it in the late 70s, maybe very early 80s.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
I can remember riding in the back of my grandpas ?74? down to the pond to feed the fish every time I went to the farm. That would have been 29 years ago this year.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I just always loved them. No family members had one and I never got to ride around in one. When I got my current job, we had a shop truck. It was a '79 2wd Blazer and I got to drive it just about everyday... I ended up buying it later on. The rest is history, lol.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My dad started it, He's had the same 76 C10 big ten since it was new. Thinking back, its the first vehicle I ever drove, I was 13.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
My first square I bought was a '79 Burban, 1/2 ton, full time fo buh fo, 350 motor...

That was my first personal GM truck I ever owned and converted me from a Dodge man as soon as I sat in it and fired it up and drove it, I fell in love with it.

I bought that from a few friends of my exwife's for $800. Ran it for 3 years, won those mud racing stock class tropies with it, swappped my grandpa's 77" body onto it, yup, that was when I saw the light at the end of the tunnel of falling in love with the GM SB's. :High 5:

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My first square I bought was a '79 Burban, 1/2 ton, full time fo buh fo, 350 motor...

That was my first personal GM truck I ever owned and converted me from a Dodge man as soon as I sat in it and fired it up and drove it, I fell in love with it.

I bought that from a few friends of my exwife's for $800. Ran it for 3 years, won those mud racing stock class tropies with it, swappped my grandpa's 77" body onto it, yup, that was when I saw the light at the end of the tunnel of falling in love with the GM SB's. :High 5:

I saw this and thought of you John, I think this car could end your love affair with the burb.

You must be registered for see images attach

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
lmao! If it will pull my boat, has 4wd, and get's more than 11 mpg. I'LL TAKE IT! :handshake:

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
85 and 87
Truck Model
K25- K25
Engine Size
350 and 350
My father owned a roofing business and had two identical 1978 GMC 1 ton long bed trucks and i have loved them ever since.

After he sold the business around 1986 he gave one of them to my brother and sold the other one.

Well......My brother beats the living **** out of every car/truck he has ever owned and this truck was no exception and it took every bit of the abuse like a champ and lasted a few years before destroying the 350 4 bolt block. He took out that engine and never put a new one in. It sat for years until he eventually junked it.

I forgot to mention that it was totally rust free and it only had 23,000 miles on it when he got it. Looking back on it, It makes me sick.

Manbearpig

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500HD Quadrasteer
Engine Size
My dad had an 82 long bed with a 350/sm465
I loved riding in it when I was a kid :jester:

greencountry05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Skinny
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
I was fortunate enough to be around several growing up. First was my grandpas white long bed. No pics of it that I recall so I can't remember what year it was. Then he got rid of that one and bought a red/tan two tone longbed and drove that for a long time. When I was probably six or seven I remember going with my uncle to pick up his slick '83 swb it was light blue/dark blue two tone. He had it for a year or two, switched engines in it and sold it. We just got rid of this beat up old '78 orange 3/4 ton longbed truck with hydraulic hay spike on it. That truck was an absolute beast, nothing could destroy it. I remember a green late 70's model we had for parts at one time. There are still two 80's cabs and a long bed frame down at my grandparents house that have been there my whole life. I am now on my second square, first was an '87 fuel injected V6 longbed (POS) and the one I have now. Had a buddy in highschool that had a white longbed at the same time I had my black longbed and their was another guy in our class that had a nice blue longbed and he ran it into a telephone pole. Not long after that he acquired the same red/tan longbed my grandpa owned. (it had been in a pasture for several years, the kid my granpa sold it to ran it hot).....

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
The first non-SB gm truck I was around was my Dad's '69 GMC c-20. Quad lights, 350, 4 speed, hunter green with a utility bed, he was a heavy equipment mechanic and beat the **** out of that truck for years hauling around all his tools and welder on different josites all over the area here. and on the weekends he'd throw our small boat in the back of it and take us out fishing. No power steering or P brakes, old school, but that truck kicked ass. I was really sad to see it go.

Jaymez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
In the winter of 87, my father and I were involved in a fatal car wreck that killed one young man when the Chevelle he was riding in the back of slammed into our 79 Grand Prix and someone else's station wagon. The Chevelle hit us with their side, guy in the back had no seat belt on and he flopped around in the back seat. Both impacts with the other cars, the guy took with his head.

The driver and his friends were on their way to a bar. Driver decided to open up the throttle at the same time an old man in a wagon pulled out in front of him. Chevelle locked up the brakes and swung around sideways, hit our car and spun back around and hit the wagon.

Anyway, the following spring (summer?) dad went truck shopping. He picked the Square Body over the OBS because he was a smoker at the time and the Square had the vent windows. I remember going on the test drives.

bigchevytruckdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
3500,K10
Engine Size
Grandpa owned an 82 3/4 ton 2x4 I believe since it was new. Ironically I am an 82 as well.

CaliDude76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Truck Year
Nineteen Eighty Four
Truck Model
C-Ten (Custom Deluxe)
Engine Size
Three Fifty
My first memory was back in 1989..when my dad was sort of in the market for a new(er) truck. We dropped my mom off at the grocery store, and went looking at few car-lots.. low and behold... there was Goldie sittin there. with 7,995 on the windshield. The rest was history... negotiations into the night.. and we went home with her... Fast-forward 22 years later... and now she's mine... :favorites37:

Up until then.. never really realized that he liked squares.. knew he was a Chevy man, but I guess a buddy of his had one.. and he said he always liked those years. So he got one

Last edited:

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
my old man had one years ago, I was maybe 3 or 4 or so maybe older not sure. I can only remember like bits and pieces and them telling me about it.

It was a red short bed fleetside I think, had straight axle front end, or so I was told and was jacked up front and rear and had big tires on it.

It was my old man's first paint job, had some fire engine red and didn't even sand it, just taped it up and sprayed it. Said it turned out pretty good.

I remember jumping out of it, they were going to help me but I said I can do it and jumped out of the cab. My old man said he went to sell it and his buddy said I know I'm old and stupid sometimes but where's the 4x4 shifter? Dad told him, it aint a 4x4 it's a 2wd, guy said he was full of it, then looked under it and said SOB!!! lol.

Then years later come to find out my grandpa bought one new, a 73 or 76 model, red fleetside, had a tonneau cover and cragars on it, and side pipes I think not sure, I saw a pic of it once. My uncle got it when my grandpa died in 80 and ruined it or traded it for a POS or something.

Then I also remember stories of my dad's buddy who had an orange stepside, had ghostbuster written on the side, and they put 13 inch mine shaker blocks between the body and frame, and had 40's or something on it. it was back in the late 80's or so, so whatever the big tire was back then, said they could lock it in 4 low and pull wheel stands in reverse somehow. he also said when you went wheeling it felt like the truck walked or would lunge from one side to the other with the ghetto fab body lift under it. he also said he'd put christmas lights around it come dec. lol.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1