What the He!! was I thinking?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Who cares if it's a different drive train. There's more Chevy SBs in Ford, Dodge, and whatever hot rods than any other engine. Do whatever works and gets it on the road.
Thats pretty much what I thought about the one I have. I didn’t plan to make a rod out of the Bus, but a food truck. Figured I would use the Dodge running gear until it crapped out, the upgrade it to a small block Chevy.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I made it back without any major issues, Damm that beast is heavy! I found a bed for my 80 for sale in Colorado so decided to try to pick it up while in the neighborhood :rolleyes:, priced right and supposed to be rust free. It wasn’t, so I drove a couple hundred extra miles for nothing, but other than that, the trip was uneventful.

It’s supposed to snow here tomorrow, so I probably won’t start unloading it until next week. Still trying to figure out where I’m going to put it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Well I made it back without any major issues, Damm that beast is heavy! I found a bed for my 80 for sale in Colorado so decided to try to pick it up while in the neighborhood :rolleyes:, priced right and supposed to be rust free. It wasn’t, so I drove a couple hundred extra miles for nothing, but other than that, the trip was uneventful.

It’s supposed to snow here tomorrow, so I probably won’t start unloading it until next week. Still trying to figure out where I’m going to put it.

Do you ever play poker in Deadwood? Just leave it on the trailer and the next time I'm up we can have a side bet at a tournament and I'll haul it home, lol.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That beast is butt-ugly but that's what makes it cool. Lots of potential there. This one that Extensive (Texas Metal) created ought to get the juices flowing :pedobear: ! Time to second mortgage the house and get after it.

Attachments

• COE.JPG
    COE.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 42

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350

What a beast! That'll be a cool rig when you get it finished.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Do you ever play poker in Deadwood? Just leave it on the trailer and the next time I'm up we can have a side bet at a tournament and I'll haul it home, lol.
No, not a poker player. I was just in Deadwood today looking at a squarebody bed, but it was too rough for what I want it for. If you win big, I’ll sell it to you and you can haul it home!

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That beast is butt-ugly but that's what makes it cool. Lots of potential there. This one that Extensive (Texas Metal) created ought to get the juices flowing :pedobear: ! Time to second mortgage the house and get after it.
Don’t need that to get the juices flowing, been dreaming about one of these for years. I love ugly trucks, last one was a Mercedes Unimog MB4/94. I like the four doors, but that’s beyond my skill set. Thinking of a pickup type bed or wrecker type bed (without the booms).

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Well :rolleyes:

The Square or the COE? I gave $1034 (including buyers premium) for the COE, the other two brought around $1500-$1600 each. The square I was bidding on brought around $800, I got out about $575. Squares were bringing decent money, a nice C30 dually with a flatbed only brought about $800, supposedly ran but needed a tranny (granny 4 speed, which I have an extra of), thought about bidding on it, but really don’t need it. Project trucks ran from $2000 on up, clean K5 with no engine or trans but a decent interior brought about $3000. Can’t give exact prices because once the auction ends, the price disappears, unless you are the winner.
Those prices sound like a point i can get in on. Was it an auction sight?

Travlr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Camper Special
Engine Size
Don’t need that to get the juices flowing, been dreaming about one of these for years. I love ugly trucks, last one was a Mercedes Unimog MB4/94. I like the four doors, but that’s beyond my skill set. Thinking of a pickup type bed or wrecker type bed (without the booms).
I'd put it on a motorhome chassis and make a car hauler.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Those prices sound like a point i can get in on. Was it an auction sight?
It was an online auction.

A few years ago there was a running 50's Ford COE wrecker at a live auction a few hours north of me, thought about going but decided it would be a waste of time. Later I found out that it sold real cheap (around $2000 or so).

I thought about driving down and checking out the trucks at this sale since there were a lot of sqarebodies listed, but decided not to, figured prices would be high. When I saw where the bid was on this truck, I had to jump in.

While loading I talked to the owner and he said that there had been some problems with the website and several people told him they tried to bid but couldn't get through until it was too late. He was pissed and figured he lost a lot of money because of it, and wished he had had a live auction.

Hard to say if it would have made him more money because people like me wouldn't have been there to bid. Although I only bought the COE, I bid on several other lots and definatly ran some prices up for him.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
That’s a pretty cool project :)

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks @DoubleDingo, looks like a good writeup, guess I'll have to register on stovebolt so I can see the pics. I have a P20 chasis that I plan to use for my truck, so a lot of what he did for his build should be helpful for me. I also have a one ton dually chasis that I may pull the one ton suspension items and rear axle off and put tbem on the P20.

I been cutting some of the crap off the frame while I'm waiting to get it in my shop, (I've got my old snowplow in there right now while I scrap it, but am just about finished). The previous owner of the COE welded a bunch of crap on the frame that was in my way of getting the cab off, so I have been cutting it off.

I'll try to get skme pics posted soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehef